[Solved] User’s $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
likiud

[Solved] User’s $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Post by likiud »

I'm getting this error everytime I boot up. At first I was trying to move my Home folder to a different partition. I followed this tutorial I found here: http://embraceubuntu.com/2006/01/29/mov ... partition/

I believe it worked fine, but now I keep getting this error everytime I boot up.

Code: Select all

User’s $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored
I looked up many guides on this, and I wasn't the only one getting this problem. I followed guides similar to this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976610 and others as well, but I still cannot get rid of that error message.

I'm new to Linux (couple of weeks experience). Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: User’s $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Post by kyphi »

This error message has appeared after you relocated (or attempted to do so) your Home directory.
Look for the .dmrc file - it should be in your Home directory. When you find it, right click it and check its Properties and open the Permissions tab. Your name should appear as the owner with Read and Write Permissions.

To change the owner, if you prefer the command line use:

sudo chown yourname:yourname ~/.dmrc
To change the permissions use:

sudo chmod 644 ~/.dmrc
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
likiud

Post by likiud »

so the above didn't work. However, I think I know why it doesn't work. Its because my newly created partition that is holding my home is actually in NTFS. This is what I want because I want to be able to swap my files easily with windows as well.

I read somewhere saying NTFS doesn't support permissions which may be the reason why that error is popping up and remain there. I read somewhere that there's a way to just map the individual folders to the NTFS drive I wish to share with Windows seperately. For example, the Documents, Pictures, and Music folders. I couldn't really find a way to do it.

Any idea if this is possible?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Your Linux Home should be ext4.

If you want to share files between LinuxMint and Windows consider using VirtualBox and installing Windows in that. You can then create a "shared folder" that lets you access any file in that shared folder from either operating system.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
likiud

Post by likiud »

I managed to figure it out. Using Symlinks
MarkoAmb

Re: [Solved] User’s $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored

Post by MarkoAmb »

Hi,
I had the same problem and it occured suddenly.
The problem was that my /root directory somehow changed to 777 permission.
When I changed it back to 755, the warning disappeared.

Regards
Marko
beautypeakwd

Post by beautypeakwd »

I also had this problem while trying to set up file sharing over my network, and set my Home folder to shared. Soon as I unshared it the problem went away.
cheerfultux

Post by cheerfultux »

Marko's suggestion worked for me also. I had englarged my home position, and moved it left. My /home partition permissions were indeed set to 777. I reset them to 755 and the $HOME/.dmrc error disappeared on next login.
DRackg

Post by DRackg »

for me was helpfull exactly those steps.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976610
ras.

Return to “Beginner Questions”