RESOLVED: SSD Trim on Linux Mint 14.1 (Cinnamon)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daveman

RESOLVED: SSD Trim on Linux Mint 14.1 (Cinnamon)

Post by Daveman »

Hello..., I am considering ordering a 120Gb SSD replacement today for my HP 550 laptop. Im not hip to all the new jargon, all I know is the subject of TRIM keeps coming up. I searched the forums but only found older info. Is a TRIM function addressed in Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon?
So far I am most impressed with this version "Nadia" than prior releases. Loving the improvements a lot! Anyway.., any help or advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

(whether I buy an SSD or not - the information I am certain will be helpful to others who are clueless as well)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SSD Trim on Linux Mint 14.1 (Cinnamon)

Post by xenopeek »

The latest recommendation for how to tell Linux it should use TRIM for your SSD, is described here: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/enable-t ... rives.html.

I have an earlier topic with general SSD tweaks for Linux, but I recommend you follow the above guide instead for the TRIM part: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 03#p461796
Daveman

Re: SSD Trim on Linux Mint 14.1 (Cinnamon)

Post by Daveman »

Thank you very much, and especially for a fast reply. The info looks good.
Hopefully Linux Mint development team can work in some sort of activation to help streamline things with TRIM in future releases.., like an "activate trim" or auto detect trim (if thats possible) and activate the best support method. Just a suggestion.

Again - thanks! I appreciate your help.

Return to “Hardware Support”