Mint and Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jackmason

Mint and Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Post by jackmason »

I want to install Mint 14 and Windows 8 on the same machine. I can dedicate the entire drive (128GB SSD) to the two operating systems as I have an additional 250GB SSD that will be a NTFS drive.

1. Which should be installed first, Mint or Windows?
2. Which should be used to create/format the 250GB drive, Mint or Windows?
3. Windows will automatically see the 250GB drive when it boots. If I mount the drive in Mint, will it also automatically see the 250GB drive when it boots?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Mint and Windows 8

Post by DrHu »

Win8x is dfifferent from previous ones, it can use a secure boot mode and is an uefi setup
http://techow.net/2012/03/18/how-to-dua ... n-same-pc/
http://www.zimbio.com/Linux/articles/zN ... e+computer
--there will be some guides available, either on these forums or via the internet

In general win os should go first, so that they get their prefereed C:\ hard drive partitions (1st drive, 1st partition)
jackmason

Re: Mint and Windows 8

Post by jackmason »

Apparently Mint and Windows cannot both be installed on SSD drives. Installing Windows 8 first, when I install an HDD, Mint sees the Windows installation. Just using SSD drives, Mint does not see the Windows installation.
lookslikeadam

Re: Mint and Windows 8 [SOLVED]

Post by lookslikeadam »

Will I be able to remove windows 8 after I install Mint 13? I can't turn off secure boot in the BIOS of my new laptop that came with windows 8 installed, and I've had a hell of a time trying get Mint working.
I'm going to test the instruction in that link tomorrow. Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”