Suggestions for Cinnamon and Mintupdate

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
dee.

Suggestions for Cinnamon and Mintupdate

Post by dee. »

Ok, I have a few suggestions, based on my limited experience with Mint 13. I just want to throw these ideas out there, if they can be implemented, great, but I understand if there are more pressing concerns.

1. Mintupdate - show the source repository of each update, in the list of available updates. This could be implemented as simply a new view column that could be toggled on or off, and used for sorting. I think this would be beneficial, especially for people who add custom repositories, and this would also be an additional way of assessing which updates are reliable, in addition to the levels system (which doesn't even work for custom repos).

2. Workspaces - I like the dynamic workspaces that you can add as you need them, but I dislike that they're in a one-dimensional line. I think having workspaces in a 2d grid allowed for more flexibility and a faster workflow in certain situations, especially when you have to do a lot of hopping between several different applications. I have a feeling this could be asking a bit much, but I'd really love it if you could stack the workspaces in several "rows", giving back the 2d functionality to them. The workspace applet on the panel could respond to the scrollwheel to switch between "rows".

3. Cinnamon - would it be possible to get the same functionality as in Ubuntu, where maximized windows are sort of "melded" with the panel (when the panel is in the top edge)? I'm not sure if there already is some way to make this happen, but I'd really like it. I like to keep my panel hidden to maximize screen space, but this brings the problem that I can't see the clock without hovering on the panel.
Last edited by dee. on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Suggestions for Cinnamon and Mintupdate

Post by xenopeek »

Perhaps you shouldn't use an outdated version of Cinnamon as a basis for making suggestions :wink: Linux Mint 14 comes with a newer Cinnamon version, and there you can in Cinnamon Settings > Workspaces enable a grid view for expo mode (tackling your number 2 suggestion). You can get the newer version of Cinnamon also on Linux Mint 13 if you want: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225
dee.

Post by dee. »

xenopeek wrote:Perhaps you shouldn't use an outdated version of Cinnamon as a basis for making suggestions :wink: Linux Mint 14 comes with a newer Cinnamon version, and there you can in Cinnamon Settings > Workspaces enable a grid view for expo mode (tackling your number 2 suggestion). You can get the newer version of Cinnamon also on Linux Mint 13 if you want: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225
Oh, well, disregard suggestion #2 then. That sounds great actually, I might have a reason to backport Cinnamon now...
dee.

Post by dee. »

Wait, the release announcement only says "grid view in expo mode". But does it also let me switch between workspaces in a 2-dimensional way, like I can do in GNOME2 or MATE or such (ie. use ctrl-up and ctrl-down to navigate workspaces, instead of only left/right)?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Testing 1 2 3... Ah, no. Cinnamon has only keyboard shortcuts for moving a workspace left/right. Not for up/down.
dee.

Post by dee. »

xenopeek wrote:Testing 1 2 3... Ah, no. Cinnamon has only keyboard shortcuts for moving a workspace left/right. Not for up/down.
Well, that's my suggestion then. :)
hernejj

Post by hernejj »

For those who are interested, an applet now exists to provide a 2D workspace grid for Cinnamon.
http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/116

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”