Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mozenrath

Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Post by Mozenrath »

I just bought a Zotac card with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 GPU. It seems great, except when I look at the clock speed in the Nvidia settings, it says that it's at performance level 3 with a graphics clock speed of 549 Mhz. This seems rather low, since the card is supposed to have a clock speed of up to 993 Mhz. Am I missing something? Shouldn't I be able to increase the clock speed somehow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
yellu

Re: Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Post by yellu »

I have the same GPU (MSI GTX 660 TF) and the same problem. Nvidia Control Center under Windows tells me the card has a graphic clock of 1032 Mhz and a memory data rate of 6008 Mhz. nvidia-settings under linux tells me 549 Mhz graphic clock and 3004 Mhz memory clock.

I am confused.. can anyone explain what is happening?
Mozenrath

Re: Nvidia clock speed much lower than it should be

Post by Mozenrath »

From the little information I could find, apparently it could be that the clock speed isn't being reported properly, but supposedly the clock speed should be fine.

For some reason, I can't just trust that assumption. :? It's too bad you can't overclock newer Nvidia cards under linux, because then I could just set it to the proper clock speed and all would be good.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”