Update Manager Error trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/menus

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Orbmiser

Update Manager Error trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/menus

Post by Orbmiser »

Had been messing with KDE last week.
Just restored my Mint Cinnamon from Jan. 27th backup needing some images I forgot to backup to external.
And did an upgrade that includes Cinnamon Nightlies.
And just received this which has me baffled? Seems a repository conflict?

Code: Select all

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cinnamon-common_1.6.7-20130201045010-quantal_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/menus/cinnamon-applications.menu', which is also in package cinnamon 1.6.7-20130127045007-quantal
And

Code: Select all

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nemo-dropbox:
 nemo-dropbox depends on nemo; however:
  Package nemo is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing nemo-dropbox (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up apport (2.6.1-0ubuntu10) ...
apport start/running
Setting up libecal-1.2-15 (3.6.2-0ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up libav-tools (6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1) ...
Setting up libedata-cal-1.2-18 (3.6.2-0ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up ffmpeg (6:0.8.5-0ubuntu0.12.10.1) ...
Setting up libedata-book-1.2-15 (3.6.2-0ubuntu0.1) ...
Setting up gir1.2-muffin-3.0 (1.1.2-20130201025005-quantal) ...
Setting up evolution-data-server (3.6.2-0ubuntu0.1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cinnamon
 nemo
 nemo-fileroller
 nemo-dropbox

Nightlies always went smoothly with no errors till now and wondering how to resolve this?
And concerned about the dropbox issue.
Thanks

Update: Yep logged off and back on and Cinnamon is borked with error and session lasted 10 seconds kind of thing with x-session errors. Restored KDE to get back to working system. As bad timing to have it down at the moment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sjmcc

Re: Update Manager Error trying to overwrite '/etc/xdg/menus

Post by sjmcc »

Had something very similar happen two days ago with the cinnamon nightly build. Don't remember exactly what the error was but it complained about not being able to find cinnamon-common or something. When I logged out cinnamon was no longer even an option from the login screen. I just backed up my files and re-installed mint 14. Guess that's the price you pay for using the nightly build but that is the first time I have encountered any real issues with it and I have been using them since shortly after Mint 13 was released.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Yep use Redo backup on a regular basis and had a Jan. 27 snapshot to restore to. But left it and just installed my KDE snapshot for a working system. And maybe wait a month or two for Cinnamon.

Just wondering tho when I go back it will still be that way for my system? As don't know if is specific to particular setups and will remain specific to the way my system is put together.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Same issue restored Mint 14 Cinnamon booted up and worked fine.
Then a bunch of updates since jan. 27th and after updates same kind of error about cinnimon config file?
Like posts above and was using nightlies.

One broken package which I fixed but logging out or reboot from cold getting Black Screen with Mouse the only thing working.
No Desktop only solution hard reset switch. Doesn't matter if I reboot in recovery mode or not same Black screen and mouse pointer.

Had to restore my KDE desktop and this is ongoing issue with problem jan. 27th and today same problem. As can restore to working Cinnamon 14 as long as I don't update. And no clue what the issue is.

Guess I'll have to wait for Cinnamon 15 and do a clean install then. Or might when I have more time give it a go and get more verbose info during the upgrades.

Return to “Cinnamon”