Locating programs installed through Software Manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bornhuetter

Locating programs installed through Software Manager

Post by Bornhuetter »

If I know the name of a program then I can find it in the terminal by typing "which xxxx" or "whereis xxxx". But if I install a program through the Software Manager, I don't always know the name of the program.

For instance, if I install kde-config-grub2 in the Software Manager, it doesn't create a desktop entry, and the information page doesn't tell me what the terminal command is to run it, or even what folder it is installed to.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Locating programs installed through Software Manager

Post by xenopeek »

You can either use the Synaptic Package Manager for this, or the terminal. In Synaptic, search for the package you installed then right-click the package and select Properties. Then go to the Installed Files tab. Look for files in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin (basically anything in "bin"), as that will be the executable file. On the terminal you can use "dpkg -L packagename" and this will give you the same list of installed files. So you can do:
dpkg -L packagename | grep bin
and have the answer many times faster.

However, this is not a separate program but a configuration module :wink: To use it, open "System Settings" from the menu and in the "System Administration" group open "Startup and Shutdown". You will find a new tab for "GRUB2 Bootloader" there.
Bornhuetter

Post by Bornhuetter »

Thanks, both of those methods worked! Although in this case, the package doesn't seem to have any executable files (and nothing in bin). Turns out I had to install kcmshell4 separately to get it to work. Problem solved though.

Where is the best place to post a suggestion for the instructions to be updated in the Software Manager/Synaptic?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bornhuetter wrote:Where is the best place to post a suggestion for the instructions to be updated in the Software Manager/Synaptic?
Sorry, which instructions do you mean?
Bornhuetter

Post by Bornhuetter »

In the Software Manager, it just says:
This is a configuration module for System Settings for configuring the GRUB2 bootloader.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kcm-grub2/
It should really have something in there to say how to use the thing. Following the link doesn't easily lead to any instructions either. I find this a fairly common problem with the Software Manager.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Oh, right. Well, that text is coming from the package itself and is set by the package maintainer. Here is the full package description;
Package: kde-config-grub2
Priority: optional
Section: universe/admin
Installed-Size: 579
Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
Architecture: amd64
Source: kcm-grub2
Version: 0.5.0-0ubuntu4
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.5.85), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.4.0), libkio5 (>= 4:4.3.4), libmagick++5 (>= 8:6.7.7.10), libmagickcore5 (>= 8:6.7.7.10), libqapt1 (>= 0.4.0), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6.1), libsolid4 (>= 4:4.3.4), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), grub-pc (>= 1.99~rc1-5) | grub-efi-amd64 | grub-efi-ia32
Filename: pool/universe/k/kcm-grub2/kde-config-grub2_0.5.0-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
Size: 150012
MD5sum: bce27d5bb5bbf957d356dc926c1b8a5d
SHA1: fe5999b947c74387749b2cf8e58fd5f298fccb3f
SHA256: f5da76bf5af446abc6ed25c991ec5b183e9c4a1eeff29cd707ddf742aad4745d
Description-en: Configuration module for the GRUB2 bootloader
This is a configuration module for System Settings for configuring the
GRUB2 bootloader.
Homepage: https://sourceforge.net/projects/kcm-grub2/
Description-md5: 7a964b8d8cd1f35897e57e291f452068
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Origin: Ubuntu
Bornhuetter

Post by Bornhuetter »

Who controls the package description? Is it the developer, Ubuntu, or Mint?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The package maintainer controls the package description. The package maintainer is listed in the package description, as it the place where you can report bugs.

Return to “Beginner Questions”