Another user is trying to view your desktop.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brainman

Another user is trying to view your desktop.

Post by brainman »

I am new to linux and Mint. Having recently installed it on a 6yr old lenovo laptop every week or two I receive a worrying popup message:

"Another user is trying to view your desktop.
A user on the computer 'host172.giga-106.khakasnet.ru' is trying to remotely view or control your desktop.
Do you want to allow them to do so?"

This I always refuse. However, it looks like a security risk. I am on a home wireless network with a BT Homehub router in the UK which as far as I know runs the default security settings.

Googling and then viewing the website with the above host172... address brings me to a suspicious look "HP Sotorageworks ..." website.

Any advice on how to make my laptop/router more secure to avoid this would be very welcome.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Another user is trying to view your desktop.

Post by daveinuk »

Are you dual booting with windows ? Might be worth having a look here - there's a few suggestions to go at, it's off the ubuntu forums but still applies to mint
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387938

definintely refuse it until you know what it is and change your pass(es) as per the link, better safe than sorry.
dee.

Post by dee. »

Try setting up the Firewall to block all incoming traffic from that address.
bb333

Post by bb333 »

Your system is still secure as long as you refused those connections.

Turn off vnc:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=109751

Code: Select all

$ vino-preferences
and

Control Center -> Start up applications -> Turn off anything that says "desktop sharing"

Return to “Beginner Questions”