Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

Postby yellu on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi!

I am quite new to Linux, Mint is my first experience and I love it so far.

I have a Nvidia GTX 660 card and have the latest proprietary driver installed. Under cinnamon, everything works just fine, there is minimal screen tearing, even Team Fortress 2 runs fluently on high graphic details.

But once I change to awesome-wm the graphical performance gets noticeably worse. Moving / resizing windows and scrolling create many screen tearings and artifacts - games like Team Fortress 2 become unplayable due to very low fps. The same effect occurs in openbox and xfce - but strangly not in kde.

Do you guys have a clue what the problem is? Does it have to do with awesome-wm not having a compositor?
yellu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Graphic performance issues in awesome-wm

Postby setrofim on Sat May 11, 2013 9:58 am

Having the same issue. Were you able to resolve it (or does anyone else knows how it may be resolved)?

Interestingly, I can play full screen HD video with no tearing, yet when I scroll in Firefox, I get pretty bad artifacts. I have tried running awesome with and without xcompmgr compositor. With xcompmgr, I start to get tearing in video too, but makes little difference otherwise.

My graphics card:
Code: Select all
$inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts XT [Radeon HD 6800 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
setrofim
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions