No Sound

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
split

No Sound

Post by split »

I have dual boot win 7 & mint 14 cinnamon installed. Was able to use sound applications(Skype etc) without any hassle.
Just a few days back the speakers or microphone just stopped working. Its very bothersome because i have to logon to win and use any sound related application.
Need your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: No Sound

Post by viking777 »

To start with open the 'Sound' application, make sure the output volume is set to 100% and the connector is set to Speaker. If you have more than one "device for sound output" then try an alternative. You could also look under the Applications tab to see that the apps using sound are recognised (you have to be using a sound app to see it there though, so play some music or something).
split

Post by split »

Thanks but I've tried all of this.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I'd consider pulling down the alsa utils and running alsamixer to see the full status of the sound device, and possibly adjusting some of the settings or if it's puleaudio you are using, run pavcontrol
  • Don't think it is as good as alsa, but either one should give you more access to the sound device..
split

Post by split »

DrHu wrote:I'd consider pulling down the alsa utils and running alsamixer to see the full status of the sound device, and possibly adjusting some of the settings or if it's puleaudio you are using, run pavcontrol
  • Don't think it is as good as alsa, but either one should give you more access to the sound device..
Tried pavcontrol but everything seems normal.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

I had this experience recently on Maya MATE I used the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo killall pulseaudio
That got my sound working again. Maybe it will work for you.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
split

Post by split »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:I had this experience recently on Maya MATE I used the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo killall pulseaudio
That got my sound working again. Maybe it will work for you.
Nopes not working. Like i mentioned earlier, everything was fine when i installed cinnamon, but suddenly it stopped. Kind of frustrating because to use any sound app i have to switch to windows.
mfluder

Post by mfluder »

No! don't switch back to windows. Try this:

Menu, preferences, Sound
Disable HDMI device in hardware tab (change profile to off) and built-in audio analog stereo will become default device
atherk

Post by atherk »

my headphone speakers are working. however the mic does not work. because of that cant use skype. pls help. i think it has something to do with my sound preferences. need guidance on the settings

Return to “Beginner Questions”