User profile not sourced / can't adjust certain settings

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ksjs

User profile not sourced / can't adjust certain settings

Post by ksjs »

Hello,

I'm using Linux Mint 13. Y'day eve / today I've noticed some problems that seem to be related to the user profile:

- Firefox won't start (I get a 'crash reporter' window when I try to start it)
- I can't alter screensaver settings and get 'Couldn't write /home/keith/.xscreensaver' when I try to
- Chromium is unable to find my profile
- When I open File Manager I'm not seeing any of 'my' folders (Documents, Downloads etc), only system 'folders' (Desktop, File System etc). My folders are still there, they're just not being displayed in the left hand panel where they normally are

I have also noticed that C:\nppdf32Log\debuglog.txt has been created which I think relates to a Firefox plugin for Adobe Reader.

The only changes I'm aware of having made are installing Adobe Reader using their bin file (I downloaded this and made it executable using the 'su' command). I can't find the page that I copied the commands I entered in the terminal window from or I'd quote them here. I think they were very simple i.e. change to the directory where the download was and make it executable and then run it and that was it.

Anyone got any idea if Adobe Reader and what I did with the su command have caused the issue? Can I undo what I've done? How do I get system back to using my profile (if that is the problem)? I can just re-install everything but I'd prefer it if I didn't have to. Annoyingly I think I've just realised that Adobe Reader was in the repository so I didn't need to do any of this.

Any help much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ksjs

Re: User profile not sourced / can't adjust certain settings

Post by ksjs »

I should add that I also installed Chromium from the repository y'day eve before I noticed any of these problems.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Anybody, please?
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Just tried uninstalling Firefox and Chromium but it made no difference. I have re-installed Firefox and it's working again.

I've noticed that I can't shut down now as I get a message that says the session manager needs to be in an idle state. No idea if this is linked to the problem I've described?

Also, how do I remove Adobe Reader, it doesn't show up in the repository?

Thanks for any help.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

OK, things have improved. Not sure why. I can now shut down without getting the session manager notification and alter screensaver settings so it seems that Linux has located my profile again. The File Manager display still isn't quite right however as 'my' folders aren't being shown.

I think the situation improved after I removed Chromium and Firefox, then re-installed Firefox and then forced a shut down. Next boot and it was back to almost normal.

If I can't get File Manager displaying correctly and / or find other related problems however I will have to re-install system so any ways to fully resolve what went on would be appreciated...
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

ksjs wrote: Also, how do I remove Adobe Reader, it doesn't show up in the repository?

Thanks for any help.
Most bin files have a READ ME and/or INSTALL file it should tell you in there.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=3

For the file manager have tried adding the folders as bookmarks?
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Thanks for the reply but I give up; I dragged the folders into the left hand pane in File Manager and was able to re-create the missing shortcuts. I have since however discovered that all the files in my rubbish are locked and can't be deleted (even with force deleting) and when I delete something it can't be restored as the path has been lost.

Annoying and I've wasted enough time on this - wipe hard drive and start again is the quicker and easier solution here.

Return to “Software & Applications”