Maya LTS vs Nadia?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joemartin
Level 3
Level 3

Maya LTS vs Nadia?

Post by joemartin »

New to Mint but not Linux.

I have Maya installed because it's an LTS with five years of support according to my understanding. A little tired of upgrading every 6 months with traditional releases.

In your opinion, is it best to stay with an LTS and upgrade only future LTS releases or upgrade to new releases every 6 months? Or, Are the improvements and user experience better when upgrading every 6 months?

Thanks for your opinions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Maya LTS vs Nadia?

Post by grimdestripador »

I use both. My desktop. Newest and greatest. Because I install and reinstall.
Other comptuers which I don't want to manage get LTS.

Lookout, in the future ubuntu might be a 'rolling release'. Its kinda a middle ground between LTS and current 6 month cycles

Post by 007 »

joemartin wrote:New to Mint but not Linux.

I have Maya installed because it's an LTS with five years of support according to my understanding. A little tired of upgrading every 6 months with traditional releases.

In your opinion, is it best to stay with an LTS and upgrade only future LTS releases or upgrade to new releases every 6 months? Or, Are the improvements and user experience better when upgrading every 6 months?

Why do you need to upgrade every 6 months if the current one is getting updates? I think every version is supported upto 18 months from its launch. I like the idea of LTS but if you compare lm 9 and lm 13, you will notice things have changed considerably. Hence I myself jumped from lm12 to lm14 but in my other old laptop, I have lm13 xcfe straight after lm9 just a week ago. all good.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Why I upgrade every 6 months.
There are two types of upgrades. Major Versions, and Security Updates.
With Major Version Updates, features are added, removed and changed.
With Security Updates, Usually only BUGS (bad behaving code).

With LTS, you get a garontee that you will only get Security Updates.

I want new versions of flash, Java, and linux kernels.

My server runs code, scripts. LTS is usefull because I don't want to have to re-code jsut because some behavior changed (at least every 3 years?).
My Desktop gets the newest because I use the web, and Flash and Java are vounerable to exploit.

Also re-installing on my desktop keeps my system un-cluttered.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jaderiver »

joemartin...

Maya LTS is working wonderfully for me, and I do not plan to do a full upgrade anytime soon. Updates, security or otherwise, on my system are kept current. I so like the fact the Linux Mint team respects all the diverse choices people make about whether to stay on the bleeding edge or not.

What I do plan to do is "backporting" while keeping Maya LTS, meaning updating features of later releases onto my current system. This feature is nice to be able to use :D and here is Clem's instructive article "Nadia backports available in Linux Mint 13":

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225

Read the following tutorial by Clem on why or why not to upgrade and how: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

jaderiver
Last edited by jaderiver on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

backporting is the best choice you can make. I have installed Linux Mint 14 and it sems a bit ahead of the available themes. Many themes that work great on Linux Mint 13, Like energreen theme, (find it at http://www.noobslab.com/2012/09/install ... linux.html) which I adore, don't work on LM14 :( :(
bb333

Post by bb333 »

joemartin wrote:New to Mint but not Linux.

Stick with LTS. Only upgrade when it is beneficial. (X doesn't work the LTS but with the new release it does work.)

Newer =/= better, especially when dealing with ubuntu or ubuntu derived distros.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

I subscribe to the 6 month computer maintaince idea. It seesm like a good compromise of letting someone knolegable create a secure and correctly configured OS and new features. I let them fret about choosing the right applications to complete my system.

Functionally, LTS vs 6 month releases seems like a choice best left for philosophical thought of what do you want out of your computer: Predictability vs Newer Features. I find apt-get easy to use, and have suficcient internetconnection to download applications on a whim. I have a file share easily accessable, and allows me to work on my long term projects, where my short term projects get 'weeded out' so my home folder looks clean/tidy.

PS. My 2 cents turned into spare change/
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

You can have a look at Regarding Mint 9 LTS Isadora to understand LTS philosophy.

Regarding Maya and Nadia, all features of Cinnamon and MATE can be installed by enabling backports.

Mint 14 Nadia has better software manager and Cinnamon is fast evolving.

If you are using it for lighter works like listening music, surfing net, then older version of software will work for you. So upgrade only if you need it. Rest depends upon personal choice to update or not.

Some do not upgrade regularly using upgrade manager but simply install new version after 6 months. I would do that only if my pc has no important data and that data will be stored in separate partition. It's not recommended, as security updates are recommended, but if you are not doing online shopping or money transfer, then you might think of it - at your risk. In general system is stable. I have many distros. To one distro I did not update it, as I never logged in for many months, but system was working fine tough the software were older.

I keep atleast 2 linux distros, one for backup + XP

Return to “Beginner Questions”