PlayOnLinux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

PlayOnLinux

Postby soldier1st on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:37 pm

I searched the forums for this specific question/answer, but couldn't find the question/answer. Is it safe to update PlayOnLinux by going to thier website and adding thier repository to the repository list? i would prefer to stick to the included repositories as much as possible as has been stated. I look forward to your thoughts on this question.
soldier1st
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: PlayOnLinux

Postby xenopeek on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Safer in what way?

If you install PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository (which for this package is actually the Ubuntu repository), any emerging security threats will be managed by the Ubuntu security team. If you install it from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to handle security threats. For which they may not have the same experience as the Ubuntu security team.

Installing PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository will ensure the program is compatible with other programs from this repository, such as Wine and other dependencies for PlayOnLinux. Installing PlayOnLinux from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to not break the package by including dependencies that can't be satisfied on your version of Linux Mint.

Are either of these big issues for a Wine front-end? Probably not, but that is the difference.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: PlayOnLinux

Postby soldier1st on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:57 pm

xenopeek wrote:Safer in what way?

If you install PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository (which for this package is actually the Ubuntu repository), any emerging security threats will be managed by the Ubuntu security team. If you install it from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to handle security threats. For which they may not have the same experience as the Ubuntu security team.

Installing PlayOnLinux from the Linux Mint repository will ensure the program is compatible with other programs from this repository, such as Wine and other dependencies for PlayOnLinux. Installing PlayOnLinux from some other repository, you will depend on the maintainers of that repository to not break the package by including dependencies that can't be satisfied on your version of Linux Mint.

Are either of these big issues for a Wine front-end? Probably not, but that is the difference.

When i ment safer, i ment stability wise. and thank you for your quick response. Very informative.
soldier1st
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications