How to save games in Alien Arena

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zcmint

How to save games in Alien Arena

Post by zcmint »

I know this is trivial but it's bugged me for years (first in OpenSuSE and now Mint KDE). Has anyone been able to save a game in Alien Arena so you can pick up where you left off? Everytime I play, I have to start at square one and go as far as I can before having to shut it down for whatever reason and starting all over again when I fire it up. Most all other first person shooters have the ability to save a game so you can come back to it later and begin where you left off. I've checked the 'net countless times and can find nothing. Like I said, this isn't earth-shattereing stuff but it's a shame if such a quality game as this doesn't have some way to save games. By the way on a side note, Mint 14 KDE is superb, so much so that I've stopped using OpenSuSE which I've used since version 7.3 (around 12 years ago). Thanks for any info you can provide.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: How to save games in Alien Arena

Post by DrHu »

Also like that game, and played it quite often, however I can't find anything (save state) either: which version do you use, is it the latest available ?
--maybe they have added some save state function ..
http://red.planetarena.org/
zcmint

Post by zcmint »

Using version 7.6 or something like that. Downloaded it yesterday and compiled it from source. The version that is in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories has a bug where none of the bots appear. This new version is pretty slick...adds even more graphics detailing and is a little more difficult to master, even at the beginners level. And no, *sigh* there is no save function in it.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

moved here
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I was hoping they would have added an update to the menus, they say in their changelog that they have (but no info on changes)
http://icculus.org/alienarena/changelogs/7.30.txt
  • 47. Updated menus with new options.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192175
--there is also a config file (code ?? can't find the name at the moment, it is in /home/.code* along with /home/.arena), that may offer some info for you..

I also, since I haven't played it for awhile, don't remember if there was a chkpoint option within that game
--if there was, perhaps it could be started from that save point ?
zcmint

Post by zcmint »

I went thru the various config files yesterday and couldn't find anything which is not to say it isn't there; I just didn't find it. There is nothing new added to the startup menu, it's basically the same listing as the previous versions.

Return to “Gaming”