Graphical Glitches in Mint 14 using AMD proprietary drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
OkamioftheRinnegan

Graphical Glitches in Mint 14 using AMD proprietary drivers

Post by OkamioftheRinnegan »

I recently installed the 13.1 AMD proprietary driverson my mint distro with no problems. i rebooted my computer and everything was normal except that my primary monitor was blank, but my secondary monitor was acting as primary, but otherwise acting normal. so i went into the Catalyst Control Center to try fix and reassign my primary monitor. not finding a setting to set my primary monitor, i extended my displays thinking that would solve both of the problems. rebooting my system again, i find that not only is my primary still blank, but cinnamon has switched to mate, and the bottom taskbar and icons have replicated themselves five times

my primary is a white screen. i can move my cursor into it and have it appear but i cannot drag windows into it. also, if i open the Catalyst Control Center, a Large red 2 watermark appears in the upper left hand corner.

i am new to this, so if you need any additional information, tell me how to get it, and try to explain solutions in simple terms.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Graphical Glitches in Mint 14 using AMD proprietary driv

Post by catweazel »

You need to remove the x.org radeon drivers before installing the AMD proprietary drivers.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
OkamioftheRinnegan

by that do you mean purging the fglrx drivers?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

OkamioftheRinnegan wrote:by that do you mean purging the fglrx drivers?
No, the x.org radeon drivers. Installing the proprietary driver doesn't remove the open source driver. That is what's causing the problem.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
OkamioftheRinnegan

okay, i have no idea how, but i managed to fix it. i somehow managed to break all of my drivers, and install a second kernel, undo all of that and it worked. i also unplugged my second monitor dring the install and that fixed my monitor arrangement.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”