Cannot install linux, "X server not correctly configured"??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blackdahlia

Cannot install linux, "X server not correctly configured"??

Post by blackdahlia »

So I been trying to install it. My laptop (Asus, running Win7) has no CD/DVD drive, and therefore I have to run it off a USB CD player, which isn't a problem. However, I burned the file to the disk like I was supposed to, and it said the X server is not correctly configured and it failed to post my graphical interface. I've tried this with a USB too, same result, and it's really really annoying, I've rebooted and rebooted and I've gotten the same message eight times now. I live in Jakarta, Indonesia, and I've been to lots of stores, but I can't find the OS installation disk anywhere. Had to specially buy a larger-space CD, which is called a DVD/RDL, if that is helpful. I have had the same result with USB and CD, it's incredibly irritating, and I really want to get started with this Linux business. I put a similar question up, to no answer. Can somebody please help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Cannot install linux, "X server not correctly configured

Post by kc1di »

Hello blackdahlia and welcome to Mint,

The problem your encountering may be because of your video card. and you may need to set the kernel parameter "nomodeset"
" nomodeset
The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

Note that this option is sometimes needed for nVidia cards when using the default "nouveau" drivers. Installing proprietary nvidia drivers usually makes this option no longer necessary, so it may not be needed to make this option permanent, just for one boot until you installed the nvidia drivers."

That being said here's a thread that will tell you how to do that:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... et#p277057
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Installation & Boot”