Is there a Good DEBIAN BASED DISTRO?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: Is there a Good DEBIAN BASED DISTRO?

Post by cwwgateway »

newbi462 wrote:
cwwgateway wrote:@newbi462
Compiz was used the last time I tried it, although it's very possible now they've stopped using it.

Again, SolusOS is great (although I, admittedly, have some problems with a fairly small minority in their community that seems to really dislike Clem and Mint, but that isn't related to the distro), but I believe newbi462 is looking for Ubuntu package compatibility, which you won't completely get with Debian-based distros (which I, again, use primarily and really like). Hardware support is very good in SolusOS, but most hardware manufacturers certify like 70% of their PCs to run Ubuntu specifically, so that might take it the extra mile. Personally, I don't have much of a problem with hardware compatibility or package selection on other distros, but I can see that problem occurring.
Where I am at the moment with UE 3.5 is not one of the desktop affects in any DE or compiz is working.... and the support over there is not to helpful. If they could be made to work could be a match

In SolusOS, Saw no way to enable COMPIZ... did I miss it?
Yeah, they probably removed compiz in favor of kwin in 3.5.

As for SolusOS, I believe entering the following into the terminal will do it (you can add this command to your startup apps):

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

New year boredom got down? :lol: exspecially Xfcers waiting on Unoffical LMDE-XFCE :mrgreen:

Try Sparky Linux (2.0 not 2.1 unless gamer)
Based on Debian testing with LXDE and E17 thrown in.Using last couple weeks impressed.
Comes 32 bit (pae in repo) and 64bit. :)
Uses debian testing repos (not UPacks) directly. **change server from poland (unless thats where at!) :) Rolling :D
Has remastersys (also can update to newer one from web) for bckups/ testing and moving to other machines :)
easy to change DE (I tried both mate(in debian ppa) and xfce (my main tho offical testing at 4.eight (forum not like printing #)) :o
has gdebi as default (to install from web ect. (get from mint package repos if need minty fix) :)
forums ect in polish (unless speak polish) :(

J.Jay
P.S. also turn off auto updates (manual less trouble exspecially when deb freeze over and spring thaw) :lol:
Edit also most multi-media codecs pre installed (happy surfing) :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

No, there's not!
Why? Define GOOD first.
What you consider as good, another person can consider it as bad.
What you consider as good depends on your own choices and preferences.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

nomko wrote:
No, there's not!
Why? Define GOOD first.
What you consider as good, another person can consider it as bad.
What you consider as good depends on your own choices and preferences.
Honestly 100% agree.... it is not that MINT is bad... actually the Wifi and some other hardware works better... though not all... so in that way it is actually a better OS...

But the supported and focused on UI/UX do not do what I need... so bad.

Like you say preference... I wish I was a good enough coder to take a good base and make all the changes I need from source but I am not.... While they are 90% UI/UX they are a different UI/UX philosophy than most of Linux seems to be after at the moment....

I know I am right for what people like me want and know I am not alone... but at the moment just an idea in need of a good coder to make it a reality
Suo_Eno

Post by Suo_Eno »

Roast your own? With LinuxBBQ you can! :mrgreen: Just remember that it's:-

~based on Debian Sid

~lightweight and fast

~no-nonsense defaults

~dozens of BBQ tools included
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

BBQ was great
But
for some reason didn't like my printer (HP C5140 networked) most distro out of box (even debian testing) and HPLIP GUI also failed :(
Thought may be edition (nope tried same result other BBQ flavors.
Forums wouldn't let me in to search and couldn't register either. :(

J.Jay
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

Any one know if their is another one like Ultmate Eddition.... it really was what I wanted. A real pick and choise distro, achnolaging I am the user and pick how I want to do things. But looks it is a dead distro as the sites for it have bben missing for a week or so now.

How hard would it be to turn Mint or Ubuntu in to Ultimate eddition? ashame it died. really liked it.
perduta

Post by perduta »

I too wanted a pure debian based distro. One reason being that I like their rolling updates... release when there is something worthy of release and when it is ready not artificial forced release every 6 months...
LMDE seemed a nice compact package but at the end of the day one of the applications that I really need (named 'glade') well... it crashes with 'segmentation fault' on LMDE where as it works fine on MATE... and ultimately I just want something that works reliably. Whoever put the MATE package together have obviously got their act together so Imma use that, regardless what logic says I should do :)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

perduta wrote:I too wanted a pure debian based distro. One reason being that I like their rolling updates... release when there is something worthy of release and when it is ready not artificial forced release every 6 months...
LMDE seemed a nice compact package but at the end of the day one of the applications that I really need (named 'glade') well... it crashes with 'segmentation fault' on LMDE where as it works fine on MATE... and ultimately I just want something that works reliably. Whoever put the MATE package together have obviously got their act together so Imma use that, regardless what logic says I should do :)
I'm not sure if I understand you... LMDE is a distribution based (somewhat loosely) off of Debian's Testing branch. MATE is a desktop environment which will run on Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch, Sabayon, and lots of other distributions. So if you use MATE on LMDE or Debian, then you are still using Debian, and it shouldn't (although stranger things have happened) solve a segmentation fault. Maybe you switched from LMDE to Ubuntu-based Mint? I tried glade in a Debian Sid VM, and there was no seg fault. The version in Sid is the same version as in Testing and in UP 6, so it's probably a more specific problem.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that a release when ready approach is much better (although I'm not sure if you were talking about Debian Stable releases or rolling releases where they push updates out when ready), and I enjoy using the various Debian branches.
newbi462 wrote:Any one know if their is another one like Ultmate Eddition.... it really was what I wanted. A real pick and choise distro, achnolaging I am the user and pick how I want to do things. But looks it is a dead distro as the sites for it have bben missing for a week or so now.

How hard would it be to turn Mint or Ubuntu in to Ultimate eddition? ashame it died. really liked it.
It seems there sourceforge page is still up: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimateedition/, and it's possible its website being down is temporary. What were the parts of Ultimate Edition that you liked specifically?
perduta

Post by perduta »

cwwgateway wrote: I'm not sure if I understand you... LMDE is a distribution based (somewhat loosely) off of Debian's Testing branch. MATE is a desktop environment which will run on Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch, Sabayon, and lots of other distributions. So if you use MATE on LMDE or Debian, then you are still using Debian, and it shouldn't (although stranger things have happened) solve a segmentation fault. Maybe you switched from LMDE to Ubuntu-based Mint? I tried glade in a Debian Sid VM, and there was no seg fault. The version in Sid is the same version as in Testing and in UP 6, so it's probably a more specific problem.

As for the rest of your post, I agree that a release when ready approach is much better (although I'm not sure if you were talking about Debian Stable releases or rolling releases where they push updates out when ready), and I enjoy using the various Debian branches.
Well I don't understand it at all TBH. All these different branches and buzz words... and it really isn't obvious what the difference is. I'm not that interested to spend months learning about it because I have work to do and no doubt in a few months time it will all have changed again anyway. I downloaded a bunch of 32 bit Linuxes and must have spent a week or two setting them up and installing packages and ultimately some of them work with the tools I need, others malfunction and yet others can't install the tools even. There is simply no telling what is going to be productive other than thru trial and error. Ultimately there is where Windows wins over Linux woes in spite of it's ugly warts :?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

perduta wrote:
cwwgateway wrote: I'm not sure if I understand you... LMDE is a distribution based (somewhat loosely) off of Debian's Testing branch. MATE is a desktop environment which will run on Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, openSUSE, Arch, Sabayon, and lots of other distributions. So if you use MATE on LMDE or Debian, then you are still using Debian, and it shouldn't (although stranger things have happened) solve a segmentation fault. Maybe you switched from LMDE to Ubuntu-based Mint? I tried glade in a Debian Sid VM, and there was no seg fault. The version in Sid is the same version as in Testing and in UP 6, so it's probably a more specific problem.

Well I don't understand it at all TBH. All these different branches and buzz words... and it really isn't obvious what the difference is. I'm not that interested to spend months learning about it because I have work to do and no doubt in a few months time it will all have changed again anyway. I downloaded a bunch of 32 bit Linuxes and must have spent a week or two setting them up and installing packages and ultimately some of them work with the tools I need, others malfunction and yet others can't install the tools even. There is simply no telling what is going to be productive other than thru trial and error. Ultimately there is where Windows wins over Linux woes in spite of it's ugly warts :?
Basically a there are two things we are talking about here: linux distributions and desktop environments. A Linux Distribution, in its most basic form, is a collection of software. Linux Mint is a Linux Distribution. Linux distributions are similar to MacOS X and Windows. Linux Distributions have repositories online with more software that you can download (basically an app store). Windows has a set GUI - for most versions there is a bar at the bottom, a start menu, and a windows list (some of this doesn't apply to Windows Eight). Linux has interchangeable GUIs, called Desktop Environments. They basically decide what your computer looks like. MATE is a desktop environment. For the most part, a desktop environment can run on any linux distribution.
newbi462
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newbi462 »

cwwgateway wrote:
perduta wrote:
newbi462 wrote:Any one know if their is another one like Ultmate Eddition.... it really was what I wanted. A real pick and choise distro, achnolaging I am the user and pick how I want to do things. But looks it is a dead distro as the sites for it have bben missing for a week or so now.

It seems there sourceforge page is still up: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimateedition/, and it's possible its website being down is temporary. What were the parts of Ultimate Edition that you liked specifically?

I hope it is temporary.... but who knows... What I like so much is that it did a good job of having all the desktop enviroments and having them configuered to have a unifed feall across them all... so I can try them all and or use them all or parts of them..... very mucha pick and choise linux and I like that alot.

Return to “Chat about Linux”