Cinnamon development news

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Cinnamon development news

Post by bimsebasse »

(Just some headlines for those curious but not brave enough to run Cinnamon Nightly. I'm not involved in the development, merely reporting from the sidelines :) )

Cinnamon development edges closer to Cinnamon 1.8 slowly adding the features outlined in the Cinnamon 1.8 roadmap

mtwebster is working on merging Cinnamon Settings with System Settings (gnome-control-center) - the new unified settings tool will be called System Settings (cinnamon-control-center). This is how it looks at this point (very much subject to change):

Dalcde is working on the desklets feature. Here's a Cinnamon desktop showing all but 2 of the desklets currently available (launcher desklet, xkcd desklet, photo frame desklet and clock desklet):

clem (I think) has worked on the new cinnamon-screensaver which replaces gnome-screensaver as the system screensaver in a Cinnamon session:

rjanja is doing most of the work integrating installation of applets (and eventually themes and extensions) into Cinnamon Settings/System Settings - still early days but I'll add some screenshots later, if possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Cinnamon development news

Post by zerozero »

very good bim :D
cinnamon 1.8 is going to be stellar
one of the features i particularly like about the new cinnamon-settings is the dual-mode display:
normal mode

advanced mode
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

And it looks good in black! Is that Adwaita in dark mode or?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

:) MediterraneanDark plus Adwaita-X-dark for the windeco (everything from webup8 ppa); cinnamon theme you should know it :lol: Tyr himinn

another app that i have the most fun following the development is nemo: after every update is the first app i open looking for the new features or tweaked look
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

awesome, thanks for these updates, please keep them coming :)
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

Just tried the latest from the Nightly PPA, but... Can't install dependency "cinnamon-control-center" because it tries to overwrite a file installed by "gnome-control-center" :(

(Ubuntu 64 Quantal)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Yup, the shells are becoming either/or instead of both/and now. Well, more so.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Co6aka,
please open a new topic and give us the full error output.
i saw that happen 2 in the last few days and with the terminal error output at least we can find a dirty hack to fix it.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

cinnamon-screensaver also insists on removing gnome-screensaver
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Appears the gnome-control-center conflict has been solved: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/pull/1665
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

But where is the "System Sounds" feature? How will we configure sounds? Will we have to install Ubuntu-tweak to configure them? :shock: :shock:

Will we have many themes for the screensaver??? :D :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Sound in the Hardware section :wink:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

zerozero wrote:Sound in the Hardware section :wink:
Great :D :D And that means we will ditch Ubuntu-Tweak! I install it just to configure the system sounds! I like to have sound effects while moving windows or closing them :D :D
But what about the screensaver!! Will we have many themes like in xscreensaver?? :D :D :D :D
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Brahim wrote:But what about the screensaver!!
i don't know :lol: didn't test it yet (and btw all this is still work-in-progress: until may a lot might change, being removed/added)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

This desktop just gets better and better :-)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Great :D But pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase fix that splash screen. When rebooting or shutting down my PC I don't get any animation and instead I get this ugly scrolling text telling me things about modem manager and login. But I still get a nice splash at startup :D This is common to Linux Mint Maya and Nadia. I kept reporting this bug to launchpad since the first release day of Maya but nothing has happened yet :( :( :( This bug is common to almost all Mint users. Me and 10 of my friends have this issue with plymouth :D

Thanks for making Linux mintilicious :D
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks for the update bimse, it's good to know what will happen to Cinnamon in the near future.
zerozero wrote:cinnamon 1.8 is going to be stellar
one of the features i particularly like about the new cinnamon-settings is the dual-mode display:
normal mode / advanced mode
Actually I'm not so sure about this one: usually UI development guidelines (see f.i. the original GNOME 2 HIG) tend to deter from using the Normal / Advanced dichotomy. Quite frankly, I don't see any compelling reason for an Advanced tab here: it doesn't seem that mouse, keyboard, effects, extensions etc. are to be considered advanced in any sense; that might be true of User accounts, but it's not really something unheard of.

In short, it seems to me that the reason for the Advanced view is to have less clutter in the Settings window: you could solve this problem by simply splitting Preferences in two separate categories: Desktop (everything that's visible on the desktop: applets, extensions, panel etc.) and System (more system-wide settings: user accounts, languages, default programs etc.). And adding all remaining Advanced view icons to their section.

I hope that at least the settings window will remember which view was chosen last time it was opened, because it would be frustrating to have the dumbed down version open every time.

My 0.02€ ;)

Rehdon
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Rehdon, that's not such a bad idea, splitting up user preferences like that. You should suggest it on github: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/p ... t-12836752

(or create a new issue on the same topic, since it's closed)
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Thanks Bimse, took me a while to find the time to do it, but here you go: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1693. Hope it makes sense to the devs :)

Rehdon
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

We want a netspeed applet that can monitor mobile broadband connections not like that one on Cinnamon website :( :(

Return to “Cinnamon”