Chrome never works

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Important information

Chrome never works

Postby victorsk on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi all,

I've had this LMDE for, oh, several years now and the only thing I haven't been able to make work so far is Chrome browser. I tried to install it from Package Manager and official Google site and while the app icon appears, when I click on it, nothing happens. I use Firefox as my browser but occasionally need Chrome to test my web apps I am developing, since it's better for developer to test in different browsers. BTW Opera installed just fine.

So the problem when I try to run chrome, from shell for example, is this:

Code: Select all
me@localhost:/usr/bin$ cd /opt/google/chrome/
me@localhost:/opt/google/chrome$ ./google-chrome
[29001:29001:0202/162050:ERROR:master_preferences.cc(104)] Failed to read master_preferences file at /opt/google/chrome/master_preferences. Falling back to default preferences.
[29001:29001:0202/162052:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(171)] Creating shared memory in /dev/shm/.com.google.Chrome.OyUVlM failed: No such file or directory
[29001:29001:0202/162052:ERROR:shared_memory_posix.cc(174)] Unable to access(W_OK|X_OK) /dev/shm: No such file or directory
[29001:29001:0202/162052:FATAL:shared_memory_posix.cc(176)] This is frequently caused by incorrect permissions on /dev/shm.  Try 'sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm' to fix.
Aborted
me@localhost:/opt/google/chrome$ sudo chmod 1777 /dev/shm

Edit: and when I try to execute last line I get this:
Code: Select all
chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink `/dev/shm'

Same error when I try to run it from this location: 'me@localhost:/opt/google/chrome$ ./google-chrome'

I really have ran out of options on what to do. I considered compiling Chrome from source but Chrome source files I saw were like 2GB or 400MB, which didn't seem right, and I doubt that would work anyways.

Does anybody know what could the problem be and how I could solve it?

Thanks,
Victor.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

[SOLVED] Re: Chrome never works

Postby victorsk on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Great news! I was finally able to resolve this issue after Googling for error: chmod: cannot operate on dangling symlink `/dev/shm'

The solution is here: http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... _3DBkF2H0J

"mkdir /run/shm
chmod 1777 /run/shm "

However, this shows there was a potential bug in my LMDE installation since I had to go through this workaround? Just an FYI to LMDE developers :wink:

Victor.
victorsk
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Software & Applications