.gvfs not showing NAS mounted + minor problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joez

.gvfs not showing NAS mounted + minor problem

Post by joez »

After upgrading my Compaq A900 notebook to Mint 14, I can still go to places-bookmarks and mount one of my NAS drives, but they are not showing in the .gvfs folder in /home aby longer, AND if I click on a video file to play from the NAS drive Totem opens but never loads and plays the file. At that point I can neither kill Totem nor can I unmount the NAS drive and have to restart the system. Checking Synaptic, gvfs-fuse is installed, and I made UID a member of the fuse group, and after a reboot the problem still remains. On my IBM notebook, running LMDE, the problem does not exist, and looking in Synaptic on both systems, searching 'smb', 'samba', 'cifs', 'gvfs', and 'fuse', comparing what is installed on the two systems I can find nothing different. Each of my systems accesses the NAS drives with the same bookmark, ie Open 'smb://192.168.1.###/'.
Is there somewhere else I need to look? I've googled and find nothing helpful that I haven't tried already.

LMDE works, but on it I can only move files from the NAS drive to my Desktop from the .gvfs folder, but not from the folder on the Desktop opened by the Desktop icon of the NAS drive. I assume that might be a permission problem, but I'm unsure how to resolve it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: .gvfs not showing NAS mounted + minor problem

Post by altair4 »

The gvfs folder moved in Ubuntu 12.10 / Mint14. It's now located at:
/run/user/your-user-name/gvfs
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
joez

Post by joez »

altair4 wrote:The gvfs folder moved in Ubuntu 12.10 / Mint14. It's now located at:
/run/user/your-user-name/gvfs
Yes, the gvfs folder has been relocated, but still I cannot open a video file with Totem or VLC on the NAS drive any longer, and Totem locks up and cannot be killed when I try. All I can do is copy the video to the Desktop and play it, and delete it when done. Kind of a pain in the ass work around.

Any idea WHY the gvfs folder was moved from .gvfs in the home folder? LMDE seems to not have changed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

That I do not know but I do know that your issue is a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1077696

It's listed as confirmed, of unknown importance, and assigned to nobody at all which no doubt will make you feel much better.

There does seem to be another workaround:

Open the file manager to the gvfs directory and open VLC. Then drag and drop the file to VLC.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
joez

Post by joez »

So who is responsible for resolving the problem? Canonical, Debian, or ???
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Another good question.

If you look at the bug report I linked to it's tagged as a duplicate of another: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1075923

In that bug report is a comment from one of the developers:
Sebastien Bacher (seb128) wrote on 2013-01-21: #22

The bug is not ignored, but we lack of manpower and people who know about samba, there is just too much to do, anyone is welcome to work on the issue and submit a patch though
I'm just a lowly user but I would think this has more to do with gvfs than samba and that the problem is then with Gnome not Ubuntu or Debian.
joez

Post by joez »

LMDE lacks this problem, but uses gvfs version 1.12.3-1+b1, and still displays the mount in /home/$USER/.gvfs while Mint 14 is using gvfs version 1.14.0-0ubuntu6 and instead displays the mount in /run/user/$USER/gvfs .AND a link in /var/run.
Does that not show the problem to be in gvfs?

Return to “Beginner Questions”