Nvidia 32bit-libraries for KDE

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Nvidia 32bit-libraries for KDE

Postby Buchler on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I would like to sincerely apologize if this has been posted before, however, due to the size of the community, it would be impossible for me to review every post (even if I used the Forum's Search Engine) to check for double posts. Also, I apologize if the wording of the post is slightly confusing, but English is not my native language, so grammatical errors are much more frequent than native English speakers.

I'll start of with my hardware specs:

Processor: Intel Core2Quad Q8800 (I think).
Memory: 4GB DDR2.
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT440.

At the moment I have the 310.17 x86_64 proprietary video driver installed, however, before that I had installed the 310.32, which I had uninstalled due to this issue I am having. So, after downloading the 310.32 driver, I did the normal CNTRL + ALT + F2, then service kdm stop, then init 3, then the install. It completed successfully, with the only major complication being that there was one folder which didn't exist. However, the installer told me that the installation was successful, so I did not think much of it. Only after I installed PlayOnLinux (I don't actually use the PlayOnLinux application itself, it's more due to me being a little bit too lazy to install both WINE and WINETRICKS). After the installation I did a normal software update (I don't know if this is important or not, I'm just trying to supply as much information as I possibly can), then a reboot. Then I copied my World of Warcraft to /home/user/.worldofwarcraftlk (self-made folder). Once it was done copying, after 2 hours of copying >.> , I right-clicked it and selected "Open with:" "WINE Windows Program Loader". That game simply didn't open up (no errors or such, it just didn't do anything).

Now, I'm not a major gamer, so I don't play games every single day. And the games I play aren't as demanding on the hardware (basically I enjoy playing WoW 3.3.5a on a local server with my friends every now and then). The only other game I do play is Warcraft III. Unfortunately whenever I attempt to start the game I get the "unable to initialize game.dll" error. I did do some research via Google and through that I came to the conclusion that the issue is due to missing 32bit OpenGL drivers (that which usually comes with the proprietary Nvidia driver). However, no matter what I do, I ALWAYS get that error. I did try to reinstall the same drivers and I did install the drivers I'm currently on (310.17), yet that was to no avail :(

Apart from being a little more than mildly annoyed, I was also confused due to the fact that I didn't have any issues on my previous install of Linux Mint (MATE, 14, 64bit DVD). Please, I beg of anyone reading this post, to please help me.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Buchler.
Buchler
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Hardware Support