Sound comes through right device, wrong one, or not at all

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sound comes through right device, wrong one, or not at all

Postby Chraz Ritt on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm having a problem with sound from websites not always working right, this problem did not exist under Win 7 when I had it working. I suppose before I go into more detail with the problem I should provide info on my OS, system, and browser.

Linux Mint 13 (Maya) Cinnamon 64 bit.

Hardware:
Computer
HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx entertainment notebook
Processor 2x AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620
Memory 3788MB (2622MB used)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
SCSI Disks
ATA TOSHIBA MK5056GS 500GB 7200 RPM <--This HDD has failed and I am waiting for a replacement to arrive.
hp BDDVDRW CT21L
Seagate FreeAgent Go 500GB 5400 RPM USB <--First in boot sequence - Linux Mint installed on this HDD
PCI Devices
Host bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
PCI bridge Hewlett-Packard Company Device 9602 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
PCI bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
SATA controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
USB controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
SMBus Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
Audio device Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
VGA compatible controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Audio device Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS880 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4200 Series]

Second display is a 32" flatscreen TV connected by HDMI cable.
Audio output is usually ether handled using the speakers of the TV, or using a Logitech USB wireless headset.

Browser
I have a choice of Firefox 32 bit, and 64 bit browsers, and for playing the game in question I have a Linux port of the game's downloadable client for windows.

I hope that's enough info.

Now for the problem.

I play a browser based game called RuneScape, (a Jagex game) and since I have been using Mint I have noticed that while the game is supposed to have 2 audio channels with their music on 1 channel, and 3 other sound groups sharing the other channel. Now, even though I usually have my sound set to play through ether the TV speakers, or the wireless headset, the game music is being played through the laptop speakers, and all other sounds for the game are not being played at all. The game is totally in Java with no Adobe Flash needed, so I have tested for the same sort of problems on other sites, and found that the sound works properly on other sites except for other Jagex game sites (which just don't play the sounds at all). Now normally I would be talking to the RS tech support people alone about this, but while Linux is not officially supported by Jagex, they do have a Linux tech support thread where nobody else has reported any sound problems like I'm having. Another reason I am posting about this here is that the sounds wo9rk correctly in Win 7, which makes me believe this is a problem with the interaction between Mint, and RS, not solely RS. I have already posted on the RS Linux tech support forum, and am waiting to see their reply to my latest post there.

Sites that use Adobe Flash like Pandora, and youtube are not having any problems.

If anyone has any questions that would clarify the matter, please ask, and I will try to answer clearly.
Chraz Ritt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs