Wine doesn't work for me

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AirbusA<380

Wine doesn't work for me

Post by AirbusA<380 »

Hi
The reason i'm posting is because when i try to run a program in wine it doesn't work. if i try launching from terminal it says: wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\fgfs.exe" Assuming the program is fgfs (flightgear). Could anyone help me?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Wine doesn't work for me

Post by passerby »

It sounds like the problem is with the path to the file you're trying to execute rather than wine itself.
Are you trying to run programs from a windows partition?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Have you tried using the commercial version of Wine:-
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/windowsmac/

see if your program is in the supported list ....
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

No i only have mint on my computer, and the fgfs.exe file is in the correct .wine c_drive file.
passerby

Post by passerby »

What is the exact command you're trying to run?
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

$ wine fgfs. Or just clicking on the flightgear icon in the wine programs folder in "start menu" , then just nothing happens. By the way iv'e tried other programs too, and nothing works, i'm just using flightgear for an example
passerby

Post by passerby »

$ wine fgfs
should work if the terminal is in the directory where the program is installed. Have you tried using the absolute path to the .exe?
$ wine "~/.wine/whatever/fgfs.exe"
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

I get this: error of failed request: BadAlloc (insuficient resources for operation
Major OPT code of failed request: 153 (GLX)
Minor OPT code of failed request: 3 (GLX ceatecontent)
Serial number of failed request : 217
current serial number in output stream: 221

does this mean my computer ins't up to par? it is Pentium 4, 489 Mb ram
passerby

Post by passerby »

It's usually caused by insufficient memory on your video card (or bugs with the display manager).
I don't know how resource-heavy/light the program you're trying to run is, but it does appear to be an older system.
Somewhat useful discussion on the error here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=32259
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

Well the Program worked when i still had Windows installed... but lots of other things didnt and Mint is a million times better than that even if i can´t fly with it...
BTW could it be i haven't got the correct video/graphics driver installed?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Definitely possible.
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

can a person get Video-graphic driver updates for Linux?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Yes. The options depend on your graphics card though.
eg. modern nvidia cards can use nvidia-current, older ones use nvidia legacy drivers, etc.
If in doubt, google your video card + ubuntu.
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

Ok this sounds horribly dumb, but how do i know what model my video card is? (i never was much of a geek)
passerby

Post by passerby »

Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

Hey Thanks for all your time, passerby, its really cool that you guys do all this for free. It´s just that my ¨mint¨ is 32 bit and my computer is 64....
AirbusA<380

Post by AirbusA<380 »

Hey Thanks for all your time, passerby, its really cool that you guys do all this for free. It´s just that my ¨mint¨ is 32 bit and my computer is 64....
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

open your Home folder and "CTRL+H" to show hidden filesa and folders. then go to .wine-->Drive_C and find the EXE of the program and run it manualy and see if it open. If it does then the shortcut in the menu is broken ( it is not uncommon for that to happen ).

To create a shortcut to Wine apps just right click desktop and choose create launcher, under type set it to "Location", then browse to app via home/.wine/Drive_c/ to where EXE is, give it a name and icon and shortcut created :)

Return to “Software & Applications”