How to install emerald themes?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clnr0n05

How to install emerald themes?

Post by clnr0n05 »

I came across some emerald themes that are saved as .zip files, I extracted them and don't see any .emerald files to import into the emerald theme manager. I tried to compress them into .tar archives and rename it as .emerald but that didn't work. I am not all that familiar with the command line method of doing things, but will try it if necessary, though I'll need exact commands. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: How to install emerald themes?

Post by zerozero »

emerald themes are gzip'ed archives ending on .emerald
something like this

Code: Select all

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Dropbox/myrepo-emerald&compiz/phun-stuff $ ls
101121-Black Crystal.tar.gz
101986-DarkSide Plus
101986-DarkSide Plus.tar.gz
104283-Overglass.emerald
106745-miNGue.emerald
107184-Shiki Minimal Match.emerald
107235-Milky Future Minimal.emerald
115416-Perfection.emerald
94292-LiteVeiha.emerald
Atolm.emerald
LittleGlass_by_lassekongo83.7z
LittleGlass.emerald
PassionM-Themes.tar.gz
Perfect_Wave_Emerald_Theme_by_Nossile.emerald
Soft-Shell Glass.emerald
The_red_robot-0.2.emerald
clnr0n05

Post by clnr0n05 »

So how would I go about converting a .zip archive into a .emerald archive? Do I need a tool for it, or does Linux Mint Nadia come with an archive manager that can handle .emerald archives? I switched from Pinguy 11.04 yesterday, so I don't know all of the software updates since Maya's release.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

if you have an emerald theme zipped first thing you should do is extract it (the zip archive) inside you should see the gzipped .emerald theme archive (otherwise probably that is not a valid emerald theme because there's not many available actually: emerald is kinda outdated)
clnr0n05

Post by clnr0n05 »

Is there a good replacement for emerald then? I'm just looking for different themes for my desktop, and emerald was the best one I knew about when I started using Linux. Unfortunately the theme I found when extrated doesn't have a .emerald file, but people managed to get it to work. This is the theme I downloaded http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=95141
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this one http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=51976 should work fine

replacement for emerald (in the way of what it did/does) not really :shock: you can get beautiful windeco deco themes (metacity) in gnome-look or in dA
clnr0n05

Post by clnr0n05 »

Was that the right url? It sent me to a vista based emerald theme, so did I just misunderstand your post?
Reread your post, and saw what you meant. Yeah that is a theme that will work, and will metacity work with compiz?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

sorry :lol: that link was just an example, might not be the theme that you want/like; if you notice some of the emerald themes in gnome-look have +3 years (and this on linux is an eternity (i'm even surprised how some links are functional);

when i said metacity windeco i wanted to say the regular the regular gtk window decoration (of course they don't have the WOW factor of emerald)

edit: but wait 8) mint has some emerald themes (from old releases) give them a try
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... mes-extra/
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... ld-themes/
d00med

Post by d00med »

clnr0n05 wrote:Is there a good replacement for emerald then? I'm just looking for different themes for my desktop, and emerald was the best one I knew about when I started using Linux. Unfortunately the theme I found when extrated doesn't have a .emerald file, but people managed to get it to work. This is the theme I downloaded http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=95141
Hmm, the author of that theme didn't package it correctly.

I wish we were using Emerald instead of Metacity. Metacity is never going to have common features like png alpha transparencies or anti-aliasing. One can't even control how the corners are beveled. But, the entire Linux community seems to be content with it, so we're stuck with outdated windowing graphics.

/rant off
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

d00med wrote:/rant off
:D yeahh emerald was/yes (once you find a proper theme) wonderful; that's why i keep some stored.
d00med

Post by d00med »

zerozero wrote:
d00med wrote:/rant off
:D yeahh emerald was/yes (once you find a proper theme) wonderful; that's why i keep some stored.
It's so easy to theme as well. How I miss it :wink:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”