Gateway M275 Button Drivers

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gurran

Gateway M275 Button Drivers

Post by gurran »

On the M275 there are orientation buttons for the monitor. I would like to get them working. There are windows drivers here, however I cannot seem to find linux drivers for it. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
meteorrock

Re: Gateway M275 Button Drivers

Post by meteorrock »

You can get that .exe driver you found working for windows with using a linux tool called "Ndiswrapper." Check over this link here. I have never done this but I heard about this tool up in different linux forums on getting an old and outdated driver from a windows OS up and working under linux. Here is the link for you. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/43752/ho ... s-drivers/

Even though the guide goes over installing a wireless driver, the same principle should apply for your button driver you want to get installed under linux.

Hope that helps you.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

meteorrock wrote:You can get that .exe driver you found working for windows with using a linux tool called "Ndiswrapper."
i don't believe ndiswrapper will work for that

Code: Select all

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Documents $ apt show ndisgtk
Package: ndisgtk
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 0.8.5-1
Priority: optional
Section: net
Maintainer: Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Uncompressed Size: 885 k
Depends: menu, python (>= 2.4), ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, python-gtk2,
         python-glade2
Conflicts: ndisgtk
Description: graphical frontend for ndiswrapper (installation of Windows WiFi drivers)
 ndisgtk is a GTK+ based frontend for ndiswrapper, allowing an easy way to
 install Windows wireless drivers.
Homepage: http://jak-linux.org/projects/ndisgtk/
http://jak-linux.org/projects/ndisgtk/
(it's only to install windows wireless drivers)
gurran

Post by gurran »

So what do I do?
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

Lets look around some on google for you. This one Guru user above does not think that tool will work so lets see if there is another tool. Check over his code he posted and see if that could help you. I am sure if we look around some we will find a tool or solution for you. I will look on-line tonight and see if we can find something. If I can find something and you do not get help by then, I will post my results in here tomorrow if I could find something or not for you.

Depends on how bad you want this driver up in linux, drivers under linux use a module and you could dissassemble that windows device driver, make a patch for it and mod your kernel to make it work. Here is an article on it. http://www.informit.com/articles/articl ... 5&seqNum=6

If you are using this as an exercise on learning linux, I would go that route. If you just want a quick solution, I do not know if there is a tool for it or not. Depends on your tech skills really.

Here is how you dissassemble an .exe under linux. http://john.fremlin.de/linux/howto/win3 ... embly.html

Update: I am not finding any tool or anything for this, I looked on the internet for a half hour on this, not turning up much. If I find anything I will post it in here for you. :)
Last edited by meteorrock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gurran

Post by gurran »

I extracted the files in the exe and it had a .sys file
gurran

Post by gurran »

btw I could not get the binutils to build, 2.9 or 2.9.1.
meteorrock

Post by meteorrock »

gurran wrote:btw I could not get the binutils to build, 2.9 or 2.9.1.

Post your logs in the room here. You got the right tools. Did you get the .exe disassembled ok? Any kind of errors might stop you from building it under linux as a module. There are developers floating around that will help you with logs posted.
gurran

Post by gurran »

I couldn't build binutils 2.9.0/2.9.1 like it said to use in the tut you posted. It said something about types and malloc.
wade0004

Post by wade0004 »

bumping this because i have the exact same issue going on and am looking for a solution.... hoping that a year has passed and some geniuses have figured this out...

specs:
laptop - Gateway m275
O/S - Xubuntu 12.04
me - about 2.5 days experience with linux :roll:
gurran

Post by gurran »

wade0004 wrote:bumping this because i have the exact same issue going on and am looking for a solution.... hoping that a year has passed and some geniuses have figured this out...

specs:
laptop - Gateway m275
O/S - Xubuntu 12.04
me - about 2.5 days experience with linux :roll:
I'm sorry, I never solved this. My m275's charger died and I have not got a new one. And quite honestly, I didn't find it worth the 15 bucks to get a new charger. It's so far out of date, it could be considered "antique" in the computer world.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”