[SOLVED] two quick questions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KirbySmith

[SOLVED] two quick questions

Post by KirbySmith »

Just installed Mint 14 over Ubuntu 10.04.1 due to an unLucky copying setup error.

Q1) Before Mint install, I used an Ubuntu live CD to copy my home directory to a new partition on the root drive. When installing Mint, I took the gear path and set the installer to not reformat that partition, use ext4 as it was, and that the partition was /home. However, my previous naming must have been incompatible, because now I have the following directory structure:

home
>home
>>kirby (this has my old home stuff)
>>>many folders and files
>kirby (new and empty in the major categories, but all the hidden files are there and probably different in some ways from before)
>lost+found

What is the best way to integrate the old me with the new me, particularly Firefox and Thunderbird files? Or alternatively what can I positively not overwrite?

Q2) There are only two ways to see anything (useful) on either of my Linux based computers, compatibility mode or with nVidia drivers installed. I used Software Manager to install the nVidia driver and X-window interface into MInt 14. I don't see the nVidia X-window manager anywhere in the menus. How do I get it to appear in the menu system? (I have not yet rebooted; so that may be the issue.)

Thanks for the help

kirby

hardware signature to follow in the fullness of time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: two quick questions

Post by passerby »

For Q2, are you talking about nvidia-settings? Or is there a different nvidia config tool you've been using?

For the home partition you should just need to move the contents of /home/kirby into /kirby (or rename /kirby and move /home/kirby up one level).
Since it's another partition being mounted, the partition itself only needs to have /kirby in it. The partition acts as the /home directory, so there's no need for it to have a home folder within.
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

A2) The nVidia X=server icon is now visible. I'm unclear why it wasn't available before. Maybe the addition of the large set of updates energized it.

kirby
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

Thanks, passerby

Yes, the nVidia settings menu. It doesn't (yet) look like the form it had under Ubuntu, but I think it is time to reboot and see what happens.

I will follow your advice on /home.

kirby
bb333

Post by bb333 »

KirbySmith wrote: Q1) Before Mint install, I used an Ubuntu live CD to copy my home directory to a new partition on the root drive. When installing Mint, I took the gear path and set the installer to not reformat that partition, use ext4 as it was, and that the partition was /home. However, my previous naming must have been incompatible, because now I have the following directory structure:

home
>home
>>kirby (this has my old home stuff)
>>>many folders and files
>kirby (new and empty in the major categories, but all the hidden files are there and probably different in some ways from before)
>lost+found

What is the best way to integrate the old me with the new me, particularly Firefox and Thunderbird files? Or alternatively what can I positively not overwrite?
/home isn't a directory but a partition that is just linked to a folder on / called /home.

For future reference you don't have to do anything to the /home directory. It won't be deleted on a reinstall.

sda1 / (format in the installer)
sda2 /home (DO NOT format this or you will lose your info.

Your firefox and thunderbird settings are in hidden directories in /home (.mozilla and .thunderbird). Back them up somewhere else. Copy only the settings/information you want to /home. It is not good practice to just copy all hidden "." folders from /home.
KirbySmith

Post by KirbySmith »

Thanks bb333. I have been carefully copying stuff that seems to add value into the real /home/kirby. Firefox and Thunderbird now work as expected, although I have a few add-ons to re-install.

Also thanks for reminding me that /home is just a mapping.

kirby

Return to “Beginner Questions”