Linux Mint just died on me..

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zophixan

Linux Mint just died on me..

Post by Zophixan »

Hey guys, I did a full update last night through adept, and linux mint seems to have died on me, it won't boot up anymore. I'm using the KDE version of darya I think? (newest kde linux mint). I would attach a log file, but I'm not sure where its kept, I'm currently booted into my vista partition. I'm a linux newbie, so not quite sure what to do! Thanks in advance.
It boots into, a command line I think ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint just died on me..

Post by catweazle »

Do you get any errors , any text on screen ? Or just nothing ?
Can you boot in the 'recovery mode' ?
Zophixan

Post by Zophixan »

Recovery mode just takes me to a command line, like booting normally does. I do get some error messages, and loads of text, but they disappear off the screen, as its replaced by more text.. then eventually goes to a command line.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

If you get some error messages, can you post them here? And do you know where the boot fails (i.e. starting KDM or something)?
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

Zophixan,

Sounds like you did a kernel update and your graphics drivers are no longer correctly loaded.

Just a semi-educated guess. :-)

Fred
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

That would be my guess as well, considering you did an adept update, as I stated in another post, this is why I try to use MintUpdate for all updates.
Something you can try, when your grub comes up, if you did install a new kernel, you should see options for 2 different kernels, you will want to select the older one, it will most likely be the third option down if you have a default Grub menu.list, (as you said you are linux noob, I would guess that you do). If you still have issues, post back and we'll see if we can get things right for you.
Zophixan

Post by Zophixan »

Hey guys, thanks for replies. I googled it, and it seems my xorg.conf was totally corrupt - I deleted it, and all is good again! However.. my touch pad scroll doesn't work anymore! Any ideas?

Return to “Beginner Questions”