Settings manager not working after Mint13 installed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MHull

Settings manager not working after Mint13 installed

Post by MHull »

Screenshot.png
Ok, after a lot of help I have Mint 13 installed and working (I think) but when I switched computer on yesterday I have grey band across the top of the screen and when I try to open the settings manager I get the above message.... any advice?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Settings manager not working after Mint13 installed

Post by jungle_boy »

It's looking corrupt iso...

Did you check md5sum of downloaded iso?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
MHull

Post by MHull »

Sorry but I don't speak Linux! What does that mean?
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

MHull wrote:Sorry but I don't speak Linux! What does that mean?

The iso is the live DVD file you downloaded and burned to a disk (or usb ) to install. Did you use a program to ensure it wasn't corrupted by seeing the md5 sum of the iso was the same as the original file?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

You can view the m5m sum by clicking on the version you downloaded here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=18

A fix that might work is open the package manager and type in mate-settings-daemon. Right click on the name and choose Mark for Reinstallation then click apply at the menu bar on the top of the package manager.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
MHull

Post by MHull »

I cannot seem to find the md5sum number by following the instructions since they are not written for non experts. I don't know what to type into the terminal. I have tried to put the linux mint 13 description and it says no such file found.
Any other ideas?
I did see that number when I was messing around with the partitions during the installation process so it must be on here somewhere but I don't know how to find it. Should I reboot from the usb stick and look at gPart?
Then what do I do?
Sorry for all my inexperienced questions
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

MHull wrote:I cannot seem to find the md5sum number by following the instructions since they are not written for non experts. I don't know what to type into the terminal. I have tried to put the linux mint 13 description and it says no such file found.
Any other ideas?
I did see that number when I was messing around with the partitions during the installation process so it must be on here somewhere but I don't know how to find it. Should I reboot from the usb stick and look at gPart?
Then what do I do?
Sorry for all my inexperienced questions

Firstly try this to fix your problem:
A fix that might work is open the package manager and type in mate-settings-daemon. Right click on the name and choose Mark for Reinstallation then click apply at the menu bar on the top of the package manager.

Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
MHull

Post by MHull »

I did the reinstall of the daemon but still have the grey band at the top of the screen.....and the 'unable to run etc.' message.
On top of everything else my keypad won't switch off even when my mouse is connected and it does all kinds of weird things if I accidently touch it while I'm typing despite the box being ticked to disable it.
other ideas?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I think I would do that md5sum verification first. I'ts easy. The md5sum utility is built into Linux. I download my Linux distros to my Downloads folder in my home partition. To do a check, I open a terminal and type cd Downloads. I have to change to the directory where the file is. Next, I type md5sum _________________ The blank space you type in the exact name of that Mint .iso file. At the end it should generate a long sequence of letters and numbers. You want to compare that string with the official one listed at the web site you downloaded from. They must match exactly. That md5sum string is usually quite easy to find at the download site. Write it down or copy and paste it into a new text file. Does this help?

homerscousin@homerscousin-desktop ~ $ cd Downloads
homerscousin@homerscousin-desktop ~/Downloads $ md5sum linuxmint-14-kde-dvd-64bit.iso
c98650e0ee446d0570c104dd6e8c5b41 linuxmint-14-kde-dvd-64bit.iso
homerscousin@homerscousin-desktop ~/Downloads $

I just did it. Takes just a few seconds for me. Took minutes on my old computer. As long as that string in the 3rd line above matches the official one, I know I have an exact copy.
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, just tried it again following your instructions but get same 'no such file or directory' message.
I have an Asus Eee Pc 1000 which uses 2 internal hard disks which are dva and dvb partitions. The first, smaller disk is my "/" partition and has the linux 13 os on it. The second, larger disk is my '/home' partition. Maybe that is my problem? Can you explain how to get the md5sum to go look on the / directory. I may not be giving it the right commands in the terminal.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

MHull;

Where you downloaded LInuxmint image iso?

Didi you use a usb stick or a burned DVD to install it?

To check md5sum is easy, but we need know where is the LM image.

Rest assured, you're newbie, seems made for experts but we'll teach you, if you want to learn.

Soon you will also be expert...
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, I decided to start over and make a new USB live os. This time I checked that the numbers matched before installing on my computer. I clicked the middle choice which said overwrite existing Mint 13. All seems ok and I've tried to reinstall things the way I had it before, ie appearance, themes, software, etc. Just tried switching off and restarting to see how it's working.....got a very bizarre boot up screen from Ubuntu which I've never seen before!! Made it back into my computer but had a black background with all my icons and everything seemed to work. However, the partitions that I made before of my dva (where I installed the os and my dvb which is my larger hard drive which should be / and /home respectively don't seem to be responding the way they were before, everything seems to be happening via the smaller a drive again and my b drive comes up as separate storage......do I have to start all over again and reinstall the partitions again??? HELP
The good news is that the grey stripe at the top of my screen seems to have disappeared!
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Maybe you could post a screenshot of your hard drive 'disk utility' or 'partition manager' or whatever yours is called. I kinda wonder if by choosing one of the default partition options that boot, root and home are all installed on that first drive. The second drive is only additional storage? I haven't tried partitioning across multiple drives.

Here is a screenshot of my partition mgr.
sysmon05.png
Maybe you had everything partitioned correctly the first time and this second time when you chose to overwrite, by default it created the boot,root and home on the first drive only. Maybe you now have 2 home partitions?
MHull

Post by MHull »

Ok, I started all over again. I downloaded a new live Mint 13 from a new mirror and double checked that the md5sum numbers matched. Then I cleared my /partition to install a clean version from the new USB stick. Assigned the second partition /home and made sure the boot loader was the first, smaller partition. Everything seems to be back in order, but......I still have a grey border at the top of my (already fairly small) screen. My settings manager does seem to work now so I guess my os is no longer corrupt. However all my settings were still there (I assume they had been on the 2nd partition) and I still have the grey stripe. Any further suggestions? Also I cannot get my touchpad to disable at all which is extremely annoying and the scroll wheel on my mouse no longer works which was a problem with the obsolete os. Minor things I know, but annoying.
Thanks for all your help!
MHull

[Solved] Settings manager not working after Mint13 installed

Post by MHull »

UPDATE: ok, have managed to finally disable my touchpad and the scroll wheel on my mouse is more or less responding....SO, the only thing left to sort out is the grey band across the top of the screen......any ideas?
Thanks
:?:

UPDATE: :D :oops: :D Ok, in trolling through the other subjects on the forum I have managed to sort out the touchpad and Eureka! some kind soul explained that all I needed to do was right click on the top grey panel and delete what was apparently a second open panel! Am now a very happy camper

Return to “Beginner Questions”