Cinnamon not starting after boot- Goes to command line

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CBK

Cinnamon not starting after boot- Goes to command line

Post by CBK »

So after starting up my desktop I get to the grub menu and select "Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit, 3.5.0-17-generic (/dev/sda1)" just like normal. However instead of going to the login screen it directs me to the command line(after a few error messages). I quite new to Linux so I took some pictures and I'll let them do the talking.

Images in order of occurrence.
http://imgur.com/a/lKhrZ/

The second screenshot flashes right before it asks for my login info on the third screenshot. It then throws another error(4th screenshot) before I log in. 5th screenshot is after I logged in.

I really have no idea why I would be having this issue. I didn't mess with the boot options but maybe I changed something on accident. I really hope I didn't screw it up too bad.

Thanks in advance,
Ian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GonzoV159

Re: Cinnamon not starting after boot- Goes to command line

Post by GonzoV159 »

I'm having a similar problem. Except that after pressing enter to login in any session it takes me back to the login screen. I'm new using linux and the thing I did was to run in terminal "sudo apt-get dist upgrade". Don't have idea how to fix this.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Your Laptop have windows 8?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
CBK

Post by CBK »

no Windows 7. Would that cause a problem?
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Did you check md5sum of downloaded image iso?
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
GonzoV159

Post by GonzoV159 »

No the PC does not have windows.

I have no idea what's "md5sum of downloaded image iso"... Sorry...

I'm new at this. Don't know much about it.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Search with google about md5sum.
LM 21 Cinnamon
CBK

Post by CBK »

So I ended up just re-formating the hard drive and re-installing. I had only been using it for a week or two so it didn't really matter. Its running fine now but I did learn that to exit the console(Ctrl+Alt+F1) you just needed to use Ctrl+Alt+F8. Would that have fixed my original issue?

Return to “Installation & Boot”