Mint-9 does not start

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ciril

Mint-9 does not start

Post by Ciril »

My OS Mint-9 (Isadora) does not start any more. This morning it was ok and then a message came-up saying "Firefox has crashed" and nothing was working after that. I tried to restart system but all I got is - black screen with Mint logo on it and 5-white dots that normally would change colors, but this time this dots were just sitting there doing nothing, also on my Logitech keyboard 2 lights begun to flash on the upper right side - that normally never flashed before this problem, one of the lights is Caps Lock and the other is Scroll Lock, they flash in unison and at steady rate. Tried few shut-down's and few re-start's but to no avail.

Mint-9 shares HD with Ubuntu-10.04. They share 320 GB drive 50/50. Ubuntu-10.04 works fine but Mint-9 for some reason developed some sort of problem. At start-up Ubuntu-10.04 is the first to start unless I scroll down and select Mint-9.

I don't know much about computers and will need detailed guidance as to what to do to fix this problem. Don't know any shop that works with this type of OS in San Francisco, California.

Please help.
Ciril.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Mint-9 does not start

Post by passerby »

Have you tried entering recovery mode through the option in grub? If nothing else it'll probably give you a reason why it can't start, or perhaps hang on a specific process.
Ciril

Post by Ciril »

passerby wrote:Have you tried entering recovery mode through the option in grub? If nothing else it'll probably give you a reason why it can't start, or perhaps hang on a specific process.
The best I could do is take photo of recovery mode screen and attach-it to this reply. It is a .jpg format.
Ciril.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Ooh, I see a kernel panic. You can get some quick answers to that here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/35722/wh ... rnel-panic
Basically it's the linux equivalent of the Windows BSOD.

There are ways around the issue, but given how out of date your OS is I really recommend doing a fresh install of Mint 13 or 14.

Return to “Beginner Questions”