How to logon automatically

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sugarat

How to logon automatically

Post by Sugarat »

Hi All,

I have just installed Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon and I need it to login automatically.

Therefore, I went into Preferences -> User Accounts, and on my account I clicked the slider button to login automatically. Strangely, if I then close the GUI and load it again (Preferences -> User accounts) it has remembered my selection and shows automatic login as being activated for my user account. If I restart the system, it does *not* automatically log me in. If I login and go back to user account preferences it has returned to automatic login being turned off.

What's going wrong here?

Many thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to logon automatically

Post by xenopeek »

Automatic login is configured in the Login Window application, on the Security tab.
Sugarat

Post by Sugarat »

Okay thanks.

Then what is the point of the auto-login switch in the user accounts panel?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I'm not sure. I'd guess it is feature in the program, but the program doesn't know about MDM (the Linux Mint login window).
Sugarat

Post by Sugarat »

If this option does not work it definitely needs removing. It is things like this that drove me away from Ubuntu recently, so I'm a little disturbed to find it in Mint as well.
klick

Post by klick »

Sugarat wrote:If this option does not work it definitely needs removing. It is things like this that drove me away from Ubuntu recently, so I'm a little disturbed to find it in Mint as well.
+1

I just about pulled my hair out with a similar problem. Had to go to Menu >System Tools> Administration> Login Window> Security Tab.

Going to User Accounts wouldn't do it, although the settings are there.
subbass

Post by subbass »

Is there a way to correct this via SSH.

I've just been this morning to upgrade a PC and enabled auto login, in the wrong place it seems as it wouldn't work. If I can fix it via SSH then it will save me a trip.

Edit: Sorted it via SSH, for anyone else who may come looking for an answer.

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/mdm/mdm.conf
Under the [daemon] section:

Code: Select all

AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=TuxIsKing
Change "TuxIsKing" to the username you want to auto login.
MichaelJohn

Post by MichaelJohn »

Thank you for this - it was really helpful :D My laptop needed another login without the ability to change change configuration and software. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong via the 'Users & Groups' module. This inconsistency needs addressing if Linux is really going to penetrate market! :(
yawnfest

Post by yawnfest »

How do you get auto login to work on 17.3 Cinnamon (Rosa)?

There is no security tab in the login window... just Themes, Auto Login (which does precisely FA), and Options (which, if i set the default monitor to the one that isn't the 2nd desktop, still displays the login window on the wrong bloody monitor...)

Cheers
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

System settings => Administration => Login Window => Auto login => [X] Enable automatic login.

By the way, it's fine to start a new thread in cases like this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
yawnfest

Post by yawnfest »

Hi there,

The problem with Auto Login is that, as I said, it does precisely FA. I've had auto login ticked pretty much since I installed it, and I still have to input my password every time the computer comes out of sleep mode (it does log me in automatically when I boot though, as I had to do today because this problem happened again today: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=221432 - so, to be fair, I guess it half works).

Is it just for when you boot the computer only? It's tiresome to have to type your password every time you open the desktop lid, especially if it won't accept anything you type and you need to reboot your PC.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can disable in the screen saver settings for the request of the password after resuming from suspend: Turn of the first option in the settings.
yawnfest

Post by yawnfest »

Hi,

Yeah, I just found that option. I turned the first three options off. And do you know what it did?

You see this problem? viewtopic.php?f=18&t=221432

This problem happened to me again this morning. So, I thought, if I auto login, not only do I not have to keep typing my password, but this error will never occur again, right? WRONG!

I press the power button to awake my computer (it would be nice to just open the lid, but anyway...), and.... THE KEYBOARD DID NOT WORK AT ALL!! I needed to reboot. Brilliant!

edit: think I found solution, posted in in thread linked in this post

Return to “Cinnamon”