install Mint on a hybrid (SSD+HDD) drive, how to?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gonzobilbao

install Mint on a hybrid (SSD+HDD) drive, how to?

Post by gonzobilbao »

Hi everyone

I have a laptop hp ENVY 4 with a hybrid hard drive. It used to have windows 7 installed in the HDD and a hibernation partition in the 32gb SSD drive.I deleted the hibernation partition on the SSD and shrank the windows partition in order to make room for linux. THe way I would like to install is with the boot files on the SSD, for fastness, and the data partitions on the HDD. How do I have to partition/align the partitions in order to get this?
Although i've found some posts on this topic, so far none explain how to do it.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dajoen74

Re: Re: install Mint on a hybrid (SSD+HDD) drive, how to?

Post by dajoen74 »

gonzobilbao wrote:Hi everyone

I have a laptop hp ENVY 4 with a hybrid hard drive. It used to have windows 7 installed in the HDD and a hibernation partition in the 32gb SSD drive.I deleted the hibernation partition on the SSD and shrank the windows partition in order to make room for linux. THe way I would like to install is with the boot files on the SSD, for fastness, and the data partitions on the HDD. How do I have to partition/align the partitions in order to get this?
Although i've found some posts on this topic, so far none explain how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

You should mountainbike root to the partitie on the ssd. It doesn't matter that the mbr which will be read is on the slower harddrive. Als files for booting will be on the ssd.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N8000 met Tapatalk
gonzobilbao

Re: install Mint on a hybrid (SSD+HDD) drive, how to?

Post by gonzobilbao »

Thanks for your answer!

So when installing I think I should create an extended partition covering the whole SSD drive, and then inside create a logical partition with mount point /root? Can I add an 8 gb linux-swap logical partition there? (my system has 8gb of RAM).

Then /home in a primary partition on the HDD, covering the remaining space there?

I guess I will have to activate my swap partition later...

Many noob questions, is the first time I arrange all the partitions manually!

Cheers!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

Put the swap on the normal hd.
Root on the sdd
home on normal hd
gonzobilbao

Post by gonzobilbao »

So I guess

A) Primary partition containing /home, on sda (my HDD)
B) extended partition containint logical prtition /swap on my HDD
C) extended partition containing ligical /root partition? on SSD (sdb)

shouldnt swap be on the ssd , to make it faster (I think my SSD supports TRIM). And how big should be /root, should it thake the whole 32gb SSD?

THanks!
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

primary partition for root (on sdd)

extended with home and swap inside. Primary for windows ( already done)
Root can be the whole of the sdd if you want - a minimum of about 10G
gonzobilbao

[SOLVED] Re: install Mint on a hybrid (SSD+HDD) drive, how t

Post by gonzobilbao »

Al right, so I have done it and it works like a charm. I had problems with GRUB, but everything worked out using boot-repair. Now my computer is so much faster!! THanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”