eMusic Download Mgr--run NSCD??

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rlindsey0

eMusic Download Mgr--run NSCD??

Post by rlindsey0 »

I've been using Mint for a few days now and love it so far. I've got most of what i need already, but still have a few things to figure out.

One is my beloved eMusic, to which I've subscribed for a couple of years. They have something called the eMusic Download Manager, which I've found very convenient for organizing downloads, especially of entire albums. A LInux version even exists; development has stopped, but they say it still works.

I've managed to install it per the instructions, but I still get "Cannot connect" problems. According to eMusic, the answer is to have NSCD installed AND RUNNING. I got NSCD installed through Synaptic, but I don't know how to make sure it's running when I go to do a download. Can anybody help? (Bear in mind that as the forum suggests, I'm a near-total newbie.)

Thanks, folks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: eMusic Download Mgr--run NSCD??

Post by Husse »

man NSCD
the man pages is a good helper - don't know anything about NSCD more than that it's a "helper app" for name resolution
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Actually, after a little searching, I've decided to avoid the NCSD issue altogether and using an application called eMusicJ in place of eMusic's download manager. I got the tip off Ubuntu's boards, but I've lost the link. Anyway, if anybody else is into eMusic, at first blush eMusicJ seems to be a more than capable substitute for eMusic's own manager. The installation was so easy, that even I, a Linux newbie, could do it without much trouble if I went slowly and carefully. I just downloaded three albums, and they all seem to have arrived in perfect shape, placed just where I wanted them. I'm a happy camper now; I feared I was going to have to use my eMusic the hard way (i.e., song by song).
bgast1

Post by bgast1 »

Man am I glad to have seen this thread. I also use eMusic, but have always used it in windows. Nice to know that I can use it in Linux because I really want to get completely away from Windows. Looks like the only thing holding me up now will be gaming.

Return to “Beginner Questions”