Installing more than one language make linux slower?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erie88
Level 1
Level 1

Installing more than one language make linux slower?

Post by erie88 »

I have Linux mint 13 Cinnamon Gnome. I want to have more language (Japan and Chinese) besides English so Installed the other two languages via Languages Support. After restart I noticed that linux desktop is more slower than previously. It would hang when I open image huge file size (like .png file size around 4MB with 11000 x 8500 pixels). My pc is ASUS X401-U AMD version with 2GB memory. So I removed the other two languages and it works normal now at least it doesn't hang. Do I need more memory to be able to run linux with more languages (two or three)?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Installing more than one language make linux slower?

Post by DrHu »

It is not the extra lanaguages that may be the problem, but rather the other applications you are using..
I don't necessarily think it would be a RAM issue, although adding extras, such as more fonts, more languages, more selection/defaults would all tend to cause more delays, as the OS will have to decide which is current/active for your logon

Every desktop OS decreases a little in performance when it is stacked with data (as above, the extras, such as animations and so on)
--even as graphics and OS and application developers say they can accomodate those functions via their faster hardware (processors, RAM, graphics cards, had drives (storage))

Since you want to use large image files, then yes increasing your RAM will help.
--but if you want to be sure you can check the system with top or htop while running your application to see what amount of RAM is being used..
erie88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erie88 »

To my amaze, Firefox seems to be the most with higher CPU (45%) , memory (12%) usage and I only opened 6 tabs in firefox. The second would be Xorg and maybe Chrome too.

I don't think opening big images have anything to do with it. I can open it fine in windows 7 with no lag memory. I have dual-boot Windows 7 and Linux Mint.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

If Firefox is consuming 45% of CPU time while just sitting open, there is a problem. Languages, I don't know how that works. My gut feel is it shouldn't have a big impact. I installed language support in Win xp on a 1 Gb ram Pentium D rig- not much difference. Actually, your Firefox mem use of 12% with 2 Gb installed seems proportional to mine with less than 3% with 8 Gb installed.

I don't know. Hardware is hardware. It's all capable of so many operations per second. And when it doesn't it is the software that hinders it.
erie88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by erie88 »

Anyway, I have started moving from Firefox to Chrome and there's better improvement on performance. I also set swappiness to zero because i have slow HDD. Overal everything is fine. I even have chrome open 13 tabs and it is still works fine. Firefox would already drop performance when its more than 6 tabs. Also just noticed it today, that the thermal temperature seems to be higher while running firefox.

While running Firefox :

Code: Select all

Battery 0: Discharging, 76%, 01:55:34 remaining
Battery 0: design capacity 4211 mAh, last full capacity 3932 mAh = 93%
Adapter 0: off-line
Thermal 0: ok, 65.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 95.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 92.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: LCD 0 of 10
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 2: Processor 0 of 10
While running Chrome :