Yet another Mint14 / Win7 boot issue thread...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axis75

Yet another Mint14 / Win7 boot issue thread...

Post by axis75 »

Have searched through a bunch of threads and tried a few things already, but still no dice unfortunately. Some guidance would be appreciated!

Basically:
- Win7 on primary HDD
- Had UbuntuStudio on Primary HDD, separate partition.
- Dual boot for these two was working just fine
- Installed Mint14 in UbuntuStudio partition, formatting as I went.
- Installed Grub to (I think) Win7 Bootloader drive? A little fuzzy on this sorry
- Initially couldn't boot anything at all
- Booted to LiveCD, downloaded and ran Boot-repair
- Can now boot into Mint just fine

Currently:
- Win7 is in the list of available OS's in the Grub menu - however when selected, the screen goes black for a second or two, then comes back to the grub menu
- Have tried update-grub, no change

Where to from here team?!

Thanks in advance
Axis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Yet another Mint14 / Win7 boot issue thread...

Post by wayne128 »

Currently:
- Win7 is in the list of available OS's in the Grub menu - however when selected, the screen goes black for a second or two, then comes back to the grub menu
- Have tried update-grub, no change

sound like you have install grub into the forbidden partition where win7 boot manager live.

if that was the case, then, just use win7 CD to repair , it will repair its boot manager as well as overwrite MBR so only Win7 will boot.

and then either
1. use win7 to control MBR, install EasyBCD from Neosmart, add an entry grub2 to boot Linux
or
2. want to continue using grub2,
just reinstall grub2 to MBR
axis75

Re: Yet another Mint14 / Win7 boot issue thread...

Post by axis75 »

Yep, that was it.

Took some mucking around (as my USB with Win7 on it refused to boot) but repaired the Win7 boot sector then reinstalled Grub.

All good now - thanks for your help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”