start terminator on multiple workspaces

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gennoveus

start terminator on multiple workspaces

Post by gennoveus »

Hi!

This is my first post here, I hope I have this post in the correct section. I`ve switched to mint from ubuntu - much better!!

Anyway, here's what I'd like to do:
I have several custom layouts for terminator (coding, compiling/testing, etc.) and I have each layout open across four workspaces.
Every time I boot my machine I have to go through all four workspaces and open up each terminator instance - how do I get these to open up on their respective workspaces automatically when I boot my machine?

gdevilspie looked promising but I couldn't figure out how to pass parameters to terminator (e.g. terminator -l mylayout) AND get it to load up once for each workspace.

Please help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gennoveus

Re: start terminator on multiple workspaces

Post by gennoveus »

I'm about to fall off the front page, I hope you guys don't mind if I bump this post!
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

Nope waiting a day and bumping is fine here.

I would imagine it would require a script? And could be done.
Sorry no script writing here.

But maybe someone with more experience and skills and point you in the right direction
Only thing I found close to what you are wanting.
http://superuser.com/questions/232042/u ... -workspace
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

Orbmiser wrote:Nope waiting a day and bumping is fine here.

I would imagine it would require a script? And could be done.
Sorry no script writing here.

But maybe someone with more experience and skills and point you in the right direction
Only thing I found close to what you are wanting.
http://superuser.com/questions/232042/u ... -workspace
Thank you for the reply, Orbmiser!

I did try devilspie before I came here but I couldn't figure out how to run the application in whatever workspace while ALSO giving it extra parameters (i.e. the layout)

I will try again, maybe it's possible and I just missed something...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I think it will be a miracle if you get it going with devilspie. It is a good program but not that good. Getting it to consistently differentiate between 4 instances of the same program would be difficult enough, passing parameters through it - just about impossible.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

FWIW, it's trivially easy with fluxbox because fluxbox was properly designed and implemented.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gennoveus

Post by gennoveus »

viking777 wrote:I think it will be a miracle if you get it going with devilspie. It is a good program but not that good. Getting it to consistently differentiate between 4 instances of the same program would be difficult enough, passing parameters through it - just about impossible.
That's the impression I got. Even if it is possible, it's probably beyond me.
Flemur wrote:FWIW, it's trivially easy with fluxbox because fluxbox was properly designed and implemented.
Flemur, that looks very promising!! Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of fluxbox, but it looks vaguely like 'awesome' (which I used to use) so hopefully it shouldn't take long to get used to. I'll download it now...

Return to “Software & Applications”