Cinnamon shutdown

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Cinnamon shutdown

Post by 007 »

I've been juggling different mint editions as well as versions and I am almost ok with lm 13 cinnamon at the moment except occasional pain in the rear end :wink: When I shut down the machine, I get sometimes

and it stays that way, so I have to take the power off.

Why is this happening? I think it usually happens when I use HDMI cable for TV or when I play an online game with lower resolutions than laptop's max resolution. I tried sudo poweroff and another commands but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: since image link does not seem to work...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92920654@ ... otostream/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon shutdown

Post by FireSoul »

007 wrote:I've been juggling different mint editions as well as versions and I am almost ok with lm 13 cinnamon at the moment except occasional pain in the rear end :wink: When I shut down the machine, I get sometimes

and it stays that way, so I have to take the power off.

Why is this happening? I think it usually happens when I use HDMI cable for TV or when I play an online game with lower resolutions than laptop's max resolution. I tried sudo poweroff and another commands but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

edit: since image link does not seem to work...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92920654@ ... otostream/
Perhaps you need more RAM memory for your laptop,or change resolution lower and try again.
You can cange resolution on Cinnamon from MENU/SYSTEM TOOLS/SYSTEM SETTINGS/SCREENS.
I'm using 4G ran in 32bit laptop ,i have been using HMDI to TV and works all time ok.Often lookin net -TV with HMDI and TV.
AMD Athlon(tm) II P320 Dual-Core Processor × 2 (2.1MHz).
Grafic Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS880
Linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso used memory 3,7Gb.
HP625 Vision pro laptop.

Re: Cinnamon shutdown

Post by 007 »

Hp dv6 with 4 gb ram, so I don't think there's any problem. I had been using lm 12 kde, and everything was smooth but it got or gonna get obsolete in near future.

I use HDMI cable too often to watch movies/youtubes etc. on TV. However, after my initial post, I tried to check what's really causing the problem, and it is because of my fav. online game. I play the game with 1024 x 768 resolution on my 1366 x 768 resolution laptop.

Every time, I play the game, I change the resolution setting of the laptop to match that of the game... but I occasionally face graphics and other problems in doing so and if I don't change the resolution setting of the laptop, it also gives me problems ...... e.g. I get distorted graphics, fan whizzing, laptop responding slowly etc. I dont wanna change the resolutino setting of the game, as I am comfortable with that setting and I know that that shouldn't be a problem as kde and gnome were quite ok with it. In fact, HDMI dual monitor was also possible with kde and gnome, but not with this cinnamon.

To cut the story short, I suspect this is to do with cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”