Slow Terminal download speeds?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Slow Terminal download speeds?

Postby frank_the_tank on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

So, I had been a somewhat longtime Debian user, but I like the direction that LMDE has been taken, and the transfer has been somewhat snag free. The biggest problem that I have had is that, since I would sometimes like more up-to-date packages, I have added Wheezy repositories for downloading and occasionally updating things. I have run into two problems with this:

- Doing apt-get upgrade causes the system to crash

- When downloading, I see ~50-60 Kb/S download speed, while running Debian I see ~300 Kb/S (Both on the same computer, and my r-pi)
- I experience this only in Terminal

I was partially doing this to help with Linux mint server load, but unfortunately, I cannot seem to reliably update my computer using Debian repositories :?:

Also, when muting the sound using my computer's keyboard, (It is a Pavilion Dv5-2077cl), the sound cannot be unmuted.

Other than that, I'm enjoying LMDE. Thanks for the help!
frank_the_tank
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Slow Terminal download speeds?

Postby zerozero on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:33 pm

hi :D welcome to the forums and to lmde 8)
frank_the_tank wrote:- Doing apt-get upgrade causes the system to crash

from where to where are you updating? vanilla 2012.04 installation trying to bring it up-to-date? there's a lot to update and you really should be using dist-upgrade for that (not only in this situation but in any situation with lmde tbh)

frank_the_tank wrote: I have added Wheezy repositories for downloading and occasionally updating things.
this might be good or disastrous :lol: if you added testing and set a lower priority to it and just pick what you want that's fine 8)
if you just added some testing repos and not others and try an upgrade (or worst a dist-upgrade) you are going to break it.

we can see how that is if you share the output of
Code: Select all
inxi -Sr
and
cat /etc/apt/preferences

frank_the_tank wrote:I was partially doing this to help with Linux mint server load, but unfortunately, I cannot seem to reliably update my computer using Debian repositories :?:
if you're using the standard UP repos you can try
mint-choose-debian-mirror
to pick a faster mirror, you still have to change the packages.linuxmint entry in software sources > select best mirror (it's a 2 step process)
zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions