Slow Terminal download speeds?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
frank_the_tank

Slow Terminal download speeds?

Post by frank_the_tank »

So, I had been a somewhat longtime Debian user, but I like the direction that LMDE has been taken, and the transfer has been somewhat snag free. The biggest problem that I have had is that, since I would sometimes like more up-to-date packages, I have added Wheezy repositories for downloading and occasionally updating things. I have run into two problems with this:

- Doing apt-get upgrade causes the system to crash

- When downloading, I see ~50-60 Kb/S download speed, while running Debian I see ~300 Kb/S (Both on the same computer, and my r-pi)
- I experience this only in Terminal

I was partially doing this to help with Linux mint server load, but unfortunately, I cannot seem to reliably update my computer using Debian repositories :?:

Also, when muting the sound using my computer's keyboard, (It is a Pavilion Dv5-2077cl), the sound cannot be unmuted.

Other than that, I'm enjoying LMDE. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Slow Terminal download speeds?

Post by zerozero »

hi :D welcome to the forums and to lmde 8)
frank_the_tank wrote:- Doing apt-get upgrade causes the system to crash
from where to where are you updating? vanilla 2012.04 installation trying to bring it up-to-date? there's a lot to update and you really should be using dist-upgrade for that (not only in this situation but in any situation with lmde tbh)
frank_the_tank wrote: I have added Wheezy repositories for downloading and occasionally updating things.
this might be good or disastrous :lol: if you added testing and set a lower priority to it and just pick what you want that's fine 8)
if you just added some testing repos and not others and try an upgrade (or worst a dist-upgrade) you are going to break it.

we can see how that is if you share the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Sr
and

cat /etc/apt/preferences
frank_the_tank wrote:I was partially doing this to help with Linux mint server load, but unfortunately, I cannot seem to reliably update my computer using Debian repositories :?:
if you're using the standard UP repos you can try

mint-choose-debian-mirror
to pick a faster mirror, you still have to change the packages.linuxmint entry in software sources > select best mirror (it's a 2 step process)

Return to “LMDE Archive”