File manager behaviour

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dajoca

File manager behaviour

Post by Dajoca »

XP allowed a directory of files to be dropped in or renamed, unsorted and didn't reorder them until asked to do so, it also did not select the full row, allowing for easy dropping of new files.
Windows 7 changed that to always sort and full row select.

All of the Linux file managers I have tried behave in the same way as Win 7, so my question is, is there any way to disable automatically sorting files and full row select in either Nemo, Nautilus,Thunar etc as I have failed to find any way to do so.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: File manager behaviour

Post by SiKing »

Dajoca wrote:XP allowed a directory of files to be dropped in or renamed, unsorted and didn't reorder them until asked to do so, it also did not select the full row, allowing for easy dropping of new files.
Windows 7 changed that to always sort and full row select.

All of the Linux file managers I have tried behave in the same way as Win 7, so my question is, is there any way to disable automatically sorting files and full row select in either Nemo, Nautilus,Thunar etc as I have failed to find any way to do so.
Thanks in advance.
I suspect what you are describing is that the items actually were sorted, they were sorted by modification time. When you "ask" to sort them, as you describe above, they are actually re-sorted (probably) by name.
I do not know what "full row select" is.
HTH.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

full row select
More info? not sure what you mean here.

As to file manager not sorting files automatically. In Dolphin have it set to sort by date as then the files are always at top. Ascending or Descending order can be selected.

As to Nemo there is a manual setting as well as by date sort.

So putting both on date I know my fresh files are on top or bottom of files.
Dajoca

Post by Dajoca »

Thanks for the replies. Regarding "sorting". In XP if I rename a file/folder and press return or click off it, the file/folder remains in exactly the same place until I reorder the list myself, by clicking on name, type, size etc. I.e the file stays unsorted until I tell it to sort, which I like
In Win 7 and Linux, as soon as I press return or click off the file, the file will jump to it's sorted location, which can be very annoying if I am renaming or renumbering multiple files and so it is a behaviour I would like to disable if at all possible.

Regarding "full row select", an image probably explains it better than I can write.

In XP, if I renamed the second folder down AAA(1) to ZZZ, it would remain as the second folder down until I resorted, whereas Win 7 and Linux would instantly send it to the bottom of the list of folders.

Neither "feature" is a deal breaker, but it would be nice to get the file manager to behave as I want, rather than change myself to suit it.

Thanks again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”