Hdmi no video or sound.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rthaski

Hdmi no video or sound.

Post by rthaski »

Hey Guys,
i have used Linux in the past. Ubuntu and mint mostley. I just recently tried to dual boot my Win7 machine with Mint 14. This turned out to be a nightmare as, for whatever reason, now my Windows won't boot. No problem. I can still get to all my files on that partition and run them in Mint. Well, I have had one problem after another trying to get alll my devices working in Mint 14. My biggest issue is dual screens. I am using an AMD/ATI radeon 6450 graphics card and it wont detect my panasonic 50 inch at all with HDMI. It shows 2 monitors when I have the HDMI cable hooked up, but not the correct one. I have tried configuring my Nvidia-Xserver settings, but its givinng me a driver error. Everytme I go to use the terminal it tells me permission denied. This is very frustrating and I don't want to give up on Linux. If anybody can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jake_UK
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hdmi no video or sound.

Post by Jake_UK »

rthaski wrote:I have tried configuring my Nvidia-Xserver settings, but its giving me a driver error.
I'm quite a n00b myself but that doesn't sound good. If you're getting a genuine 'driver error' message (rather than some kind of permissions message) I'd look into re-installing the drivers. It may or may not solve the HDMI issue but at least it'll clear up one potential problem area.
bb333

Re: Hdmi no video or sound.

Post by bb333 »

Nvidia-Xserver works with nvidia hardware. You have amd/ati.

What video driver is installed:

Code: Select all

$ inxi -Gx
You can try the binary driver:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle fglrx
Reboot. You should have the amd control center installed. HDMI should work. Test with the first command; it should say fglrx now.

Return to “Beginner Questions”