Get good fonts

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dougmack

Get good fonts

Post by dougmack »

I.m new to Mint, and it seems to be a distro I can be happy with, in most cases, but:
How can I get some good fonts? I look at the available fonts and see all kinds of foreign stuff and only "liberation", which looks terrible, for use in LO, etc.
I can steal fonts from another Linux distro or from Microsoft, I think, or somebody. How do I do that, and where do I put them? And how can I clean up
the list of foreign fonts that I don't want?
Thanx for your help--doug
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Get good fonts

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

For Fonts
Fonts go in one or two places: For system wide use of fonts you add fonts to /usr/share/fonts. For single user, say you only want a particular user to use a particular fonts, you can create folder in the home folder and name it .fonts. If you're the only one using your computer it doesn't matter which folder you the fonts put in,you'll be able to use all fonts.

For a single font
You can right click the downloaded font choose "open with font viewer" and a window will open showing you the font, at the bottom right there is button that reads "Install Font". Click that button and it will install the font for you.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
nomko

Post by nomko »

There are numerous websites that offers (free) fonts. Just search for it.
And if you want to remove fonts, open synaptic and click the search button and add as search query: tff-.
Mark the ones you don't like for removal and click apply. There are indeed a lot of foreign fonts which look horrible under LO or OO, i agree with that.

If you downloaded some fonts from a website, all you have to do is this (this is the easiest way):
- open your filemanager
- press Ctrl+H
- Look if there's a hidden folder called .fonts
- If this folder does not exist, create that folder. Make sure you start with a dot (.) to make the folder hidden
- Copy/paste the downloaded fonts into the new folder .fonts
- close your filemanager

fropm now on, your downloaded fonts will be visible to all programs.
dougmack

Post by dougmack »

Reply to the *hamza*--your instructions about the fonts being in /usr/share/fonts was right on the money. I don't know why the other poster says to make
a hidden .fonts file, but at any rate, I copied everything in the fonts directory from a pclos installation, and used mc to copy all the subdirectories over
to Mint. (Moved across on flash drive.)

Thank you to both of the reponders! --doug

SOLVED!
nomko

Post by nomko »

dougmack wrote:make a hidden .fonts file
Because that works too! Did you tried that? I doubt it...
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

sudo apt-get install fonts-droid :)
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

dougmack wrote:Reply to the *hamza*--your instructions about the fonts being in /usr/share/fonts was right on the money. I don't know why the other poster says to make
a hidden .fonts file, but at any rate, I copied everything in the fonts directory from a pclos installation, and used mc to copy all the subdirectories over
to Mint. (Moved across on flash drive.)

Thank you to both of the reponders! --doug

SOLVED!

For single user, say you only want a particular user to use a particular fonts, you can create a folder in the home folder of the user and name it .fonts. For a system with only one user this is not necessary.
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com

Return to “Software & Applications”