No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Postby lmbob on Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 am

My problem is the sound plays in headphones when headphone jack is plugged in loosely halfway - when it is plugged in all the way the sound goes off. I am dual booting with Windows 8 on a new Dell Inspiron 15R (5520) laptop, and the sound plays OK when headphone jack is plugged into Windows, so I know that the hardware is not an issue. I am running Linux Mint 14, 64 bit Mate. I have tried all the terminal commands suggested in this forum and nothing works for me. Help!!!

Hope the below helps:

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC282 Analog [ALC282 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
lmbob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No sound when headphone jack is plugged in

Postby lmbob on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Well, after three days of trying all kinds of suggested terminal commands with no results I clicked on "Menu-Applications-Sound & Video-Volume Control" and switched to any one of the built-in pulse audio options instead of the Alsa mixer which evidently was the default, and everything works great now - laptop speakers and then headphone speakers when jack is plugged in. Sometime the simplest solutions are there if you dig for them!
lmbob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mfluder on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 pm

I had the same problem when I started with Mint 13. It drove me crazy until I figured it out. This solution should be posted by default on the desktop when you do a fresh install.
mfluder
Level 2
Level 2

Postby markmywords on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm running Mint 16 xfce. but this might help. Volume control is pulseaudio. when I plug in headphones, pulseaudio changes output device to headphones. (not sure how. there is no jack sensing on dell d820). probably for this reason, the headphones do not work. If I change pulseaudio output back to speakers, sound comes out of headphones. (probably physical switch off for actual laptop speakers i imagine)
markmywords
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Hardware Support