[SOLVED] Cinnamon desktop on mate install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cinnamon desktop on mate install

Post by poliltimmy »

Well, I have been told that the only dumb question is one not asked. But somehow I feel stupid. I installed Mate Edition. Then I installed 'cinnamon' from synaptic. I lost my mate panel some how. After looking all over the web for a solution that did not solve my problem, I uninstalled the mate desktop. Now I have Cinnamon with a bunch of left over mate files. Do I have to start all over with my dual boot W7, or will the Cinnamon install ask me to replace the 'mate' edition like it asks to replace W7? Is there an easy solution? Thanks, Timmy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cinnamon desktop on mate install

Post by jungle_boy »

Mate uses GTK2 files, and cinnamon uses GTK3 files...

Proceed a fresh install, using the correct iso image (mate or cinnamon).
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poliltimmy »

Any ideas on fixing the W7 boot? Can I triple boot delete the messed up Mint install Then use boot save to fix my grub? Cinnamon seems to be fine on my 9600GT card without the nvidia driver. I just have no splash screen. Which does not bother me at all.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. I have a computer running Mint Mate (13) with Cinnamon desktop and it works just fine. It has extra 'baggage' over a pure Cinnamon install, of course it does, and that might slow it down fractionally, but it doesn't stop it from working. I have certainly heard of people who installed compiz on Mate getting conflicts with Cinnamon, but not otherwise.

So why can't you just leave things as they are? Why do you have to start over just because you have a few extra files lying around? I don't understand the problem I guess, maybe you are having problems with Cinnamon? If that is the case you don't say so.

As regards triple booting, if you install Mint Cinnamon it will take over the booting from Mint Mate (unless you alter it so that the original Mate stays on the mbr) so it won't matter. Why will that interfere with W7 booting? I don't get that either.

Of course if you are talking about a Uefi installation then in all probability, your house will burn down, your dog will get mange, your wife will contract the black death and your legs will fall off :lol: , but with a normal computer all should be well.
poliltimmy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poliltimmy »

I was not even sure what question to ask. Potential problems was what I was trying avoid.

When I deleted the Mate desktop I was missing things. The calculator for one. Not knowing what else may be missing other than that, I wanted to do what I could to make sure all was there and I did not need to install a program when it should be there already when needed.

I did a fresh install using the mate partition and swap under the 'do something else' option. I was nervous about it, as it was my first time doing a custom install. It said it could not install grub and offered alternatives. I picked the first one on the list. The installer said it crashed. I rebooted anyway the and grub menu was there. All seems fine and it worked. Both OSs boot.

Thanks for you attention. How do I mark this solved?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

How do I mark this solved?
Edit the opening post. (subject line)

Return to “Installation & Boot”