Getting Openvpn to connect at startup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yuri21

Getting Openvpn to connect at startup

Post by yuri21 »

Getting Openvpn to connect at startup on Linux Mint 14 xfce(fresh install, less than 48 hours old):

I'm trying to get Openvpn to run at startup. "Connect automatically" is checked but no deal.

I've since tried this command but to no success. Yes, there're symlinks between /etc/init.d/openvpn and most of the /etc/rc#.d directories. Still, no connect!

Code: Select all

sudo update-rc.d openvpn enable 2345
Note: my VPN provider issues certs and keys and uh, not sure how much of a difference that'll make.

There're other walkarounds I've come across but they seem to be for other distros like Gentoo, very outdated info and so on. So, the commands/steps don't really work. :lol:

Edit: Oops, Edited title to make more sense. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tartufo

Re: Getting Openvpn to connect at startup

Post by Tartufo »

Depending on what DE you are using, you should have something from the main menu like "Services" or "Session startup" or something like that. Check there and see if the OpenVPN is enabled (it'll be a tick mark next to it). If not, then that would help I think.

The other alternative would be to check out some docs for Ubuntu or Debian on init run-levels, but be careful - there be dragons so proceed cautiously!! :-)
yuri21

Re: Getting Openvpn to connect at startup

Post by yuri21 »

Well, Openvpn was already enabled and I could connect to the VPN manually. :)

In the end, I went through pages and different solutions and none of them really worked! Probably because some of them were for different distros, or things had changed enough and I didn't have enough knowledge to understand what I needed to change. I know, I forgot quite a bit of my Linux knowledge from years ago. :oops:

Until, I came across this solution which requires a shell script or something, that runs at startup and it works:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=2

I hope this works for others looking for a solution. :)

Now, still hoping I can find a way to get it to auto-reconnect if it drops. Sorry for not visiting the thread earlier but I was very busy and extremely tired as of late.

Return to “Beginner Questions”