Cinnamon won't run with kernel 3.7.6

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon won't run with kernel 3.7.6

Post by Nick Payne »

Mint 14 amd64, Cinnamon 1.6.7. I just installed kernel 3.7.6 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/, and on reboot I have the Gnome desktop and menu - the Cinnamon menu and panel are gone. Searching syslog and I find:

Code: Select all

Feb  7 15:56:31 nick-mint gnome-session[2157]: WARNING: Session 'cinnamon' runnable check failed: Child process exited with code 1
Boot into kernel 3.7.5 instead and Cinnamon is running as normal.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
d00med

Re: Cinnamon won't run with kernel 3.7.6

Post by d00med »

I have it running here, using the install script from this site. Never had any issues with the kernels from there. I have a Linux friendly computer though.
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

I used the same script to install...when I checked after running it, all four packages were indicated as successfully installed.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Nick Payne,
have you checked if (after the kernel upgrade) you still have direct rendering working?
what's the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

d00med wrote:I have it running here, using the install script from this site. Never had any issues with the kernels from there. I have a Linux friendly computer though.
This is the site I use. What is strange is I have Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 12.10 & Mint 14 installed. I am always able to install any kernel update for 12.04. The first time I did it, the experimental Catalyst driver was installed (not sure why but it did it automatically).

No such luck for 12.10 and Mint. I get error messages when compiling the kernel. Should I remove the fglrx drivers and install ATI Driver 13.2 Beta first and then try to install the kernel? Any suggestions are appreciated as I am determined to make this work. I have subsequently removed Ubuntu 12.10. I plan on a dual boot with 12.04 and Mint 14. By the way, there is a major improvement in performance with Kernel 3.7.6 with Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Installing the beta ATI driver is simple. Kernel upgrade still doesn't work...

Return to “Installation & Boot”