I'm thinking about giving Mint a whirl

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgast1

I'm thinking about giving Mint a whirl

Post by bgast1 »

Greetings. First post here. Actually I have installed several different distros of Linux in the past. Now I am thinking about giving Mint a whirl. I have enjoyed using PClinuxOS the most. While Ubuntu saw all of my hardware right off the bat, I couldn't figure just what it was about it that I didn't like, because honestly the support for Ubuntu was better than any other distro out there. Suse wasn't such a good experience for me, and Mandriva worked OK but I wasn't terribly excited about 2008 either. I am acutally looking for a distro to switch to and use. But I have a few questions first before I download and install Mint.

Will it see my video card? I have an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro PCIe card. I am almost certain that I will have to use onboard sound because my windows sound card is a Creative X-Fi Extreme gamer card and to my knowledge X-fi cards are not supported. My printer is brand new, just got it last week. It is a HP Deskjet F4180 all-in-one. I have 3 hard drives. 1 will keep windows XP, the second will be Linux exclusively, and I would like the 3rd external HD to store music files. All 3 drives are currently formatted NTFS.

I will probably use my computer mostly for surfing the internet, watching DVD's, and listening to music. Eventually I will rip all of my CD's to my Hard drive. Oh, I forgot, I will also want to try to play a few windows games as well, maybe in a virtual box, or Wine, or Cedega.

Can someone enlighten me as to whether Mint might be a good fit for me? Also, which version should I download, KDE, Gnome?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BAD

Re: I'm thinking about giving Mint a whirl

Post by BAD »

TRY THE live cd.
bgast1

Re: I'm thinking about giving Mint a whirl

Post by bgast1 »

Thanks for the replies. I now have Linux Mint installed. It looks nice. I have the Gnome desktop installed.

My experience with Ubuntu was limited. But I have to say I already like this much better than the Ubuntu. Just never could get used to the brown and the way it appeared. I know all of that could be changed but I guess what I am saying with me, first impressions count, and so far I am impressed with Mint.

But I don't really know where to go from here. I have the restricted drivers installed for my video card. My monitor is reporting the correct resolution as well. But I would like to get Compiz working. No need to reply here on this thread as if I need to I will start another one in the appropriate place.

Also want to get my printer working.

Return to “Beginner Questions”