Before I Buy A Wireless Epson Printer

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
n8oay

Before I Buy A Wireless Epson Printer

Post by n8oay »

I am new to Linux Mint. I have been using PCLOS for 5 or 6 years, and before that Xandros. I decided it is time for a "change of scenery". It is also time for a new printer. I have a Canon wireless network printer now that I have never been able to get to work through the network. Looking through this forum, it looks like Epson printers are a bit more Linux-Friendly than Canon. I am considering 2 different Epson multifunction printers: the Workforce WF-2540 and the Expression XP-300, both because they are in stock locally. Has anyone had any problems getting either of these to work as a network printer? The reason I ask is because the Expression XP-300 is wireless network or USB only. It does not have a CAT-5 network cable connection. It is $20 less than the WF-2540, which also has features that I do not need - the ability to fax, and a automatic document feeder for the scanner. The printer I buy needs to work with 4 computers, a mix of WinXP, Win7 and Linux. If I buy the less expensive XP-300 will I be likely to run into a problem because it is wireless only without a CAT-5 network connection?

Additional info...2 of the computers, one Linux and one WinXP desktops are CAT-5 network connection, and the Linux and Win7 laptops are wireless network. The 2 Linux computers will both be a clean installation with Linux Mint 14 KDE 32 bit.

Thanks for your comments!
Dave
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Before I Buy A Wireless Epson Printer

Post by kc1di »

I'm not familiar with the models you listed and a search of the mint hardware data base does not show those models either. I've had a difficult time getting epson printer to work with linux here. maybe others have had better luck. I find most often the HP printers are easier to get going with Mint. But that's just my Opinion.
good luck I would do some more research though before buying an epson printer to use with linux. here are the results I get from the Mint Hardware Data base:
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/search
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Detonate

Re: Before I Buy A Wireless Epson Printer

Post by Detonate »

I have two wireless network printers, a HP Officejet Pro 8000w and a Brother HL-2170w laser. Both were easy to setup with the CUPS interface and specifying the ipp address. I always set up my network printers with a fixed IP address which makes things easier and more reliable. Both printers work flawlessly.

Return to “Printers & Scanners”