A couple of issues with Compiz

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jokersloose

A couple of issues with Compiz

Post by jokersloose »

Hey All,

I'm trying to get Compiz up and running on my son's laptop. He wants to be able to rotate the cube, but I can't get it too with the mouse. I can get it to rotate with the hot keys but only in 2D. I have the cube option on and the rotate cube on as well, but nothing. Also, he wants it set to do the burn effect when he closes a window but there again I can't get it too work. I go into animations add "burn" the close window tab, remove the default ones so it's the only one there but there again no burn effect.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
James
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
McLovin

Re: A couple of issues with Compiz

Post by McLovin »

Make sure you're using the "Custom Desktop Effects" from the appearances menu. Go to System->Preferences->Appearances and select the Visual Effects tab.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

In the advanced desktop effects settings, go to General -> Desktop Size. Make sure you have 4 for "Horizontal Virtual Size" and 1 for the bottom two.
If you were in Animations -> Close animation tab, and you set the first close effect to burn, and it doesn't seem to apply, maybe compiz is having issues and I would restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace) and log back in to see if the effects take place.
Cheers.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Ctrl+Alt+Left click for drag and drop, the mouse hotkey isn't all that stable. There is a pretty good Compiz tutorial video on Youtube, do a quick search there..
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

Thanks all,

Yeah got the cube to do the 3D. Hold the ctrl+alt while using the left mouse button. As for the burn effect. I did restart X and still nothing. Not sure what's going on with it.

James

Return to “Beginner Questions”