Suspend issue in Mint Maya

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark1mint

Suspend issue in Mint Maya

Post by mark1mint »

After having issues with suspend in Mint Debian,I'm back to square one with Maya as well:it doesn't work,the computer simply shuts down if i click Suspend in the Quit dialog box,then if I try to resume pressing the power button it tries to spin up the disc a couple of times,and finally kinda restarts-with a blank screen,that is.
Since I can suspend and resume this very same machine with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 with a 3.0.0-20 kernel (installed from the Ubuntu Kernel PPA),I don't think that the more recent kernels shipped in Mint Debian and Maya don't support suspend with my hardware

Code: Select all

Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8H61-M LE version: Rev x.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 0504 date: 03/03/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2100 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 Series] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: vesa,fbdev) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CEDAR GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
maybe after all it could be just a matter of using the right quirks for my system,as I've found some lines in the pm-suspend log in Ubuntu that look like this

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:success.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend:kernel.acpi_video_flags = 0
whilst in Maya I see this

Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend:
Kernel modesetting video driver detected, not using quirks.
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/98video-quirk-db-handler suspend suspend: success.
Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend:
/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video suspend suspend: disabled.
can this be the real reason why suspend doesn't work for me ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mark1mint

Re: Suspend issue in Mint Maya

Post by mark1mint »

Thinking of it,knowing for a fact that suspension works in Ubuntu with the 3.0.0-20 kernel from the Ubuntu kernel PPA : what if I add that repo in Maya,install that very same kernel,boot on it and try to suspend?

EDIT:or,maybe more appropiately,an updated kernel from here http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ ?
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Have you tried these combinations just to cut down various possible issues?

1. Start from Mint13, do not install fglrx, use its default kernel, default radeon driver, and test if suspend works.

2. if item 1 works, install fglrx and see if suspend still works.

3. from item1, you could also just install another kernel, like you already experienced with older kernel and works on ubuntu, give that kernel a test to see if kernel is your issue

4. from item 1, you could also install liquorix kernel, long time ago, I used to do that and it works after liquorix kernel installation
http://liquorix.net/
mark1mint

Post by mark1mint »

I've just seen that suspension to S3 state and resume work with this mainline Ubuntu kernel http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/ma ... 4-precise/,with the default (non-proprietary) radeon driver.

And also works with Liquorix kernel.

Return to “Other topics”